Time From Certification to Job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stockonline2

I am going to be graduating from an air traffic control program this summer. It's currently looking like the wait to get picked up by the FAA is going to be a few years at least.

I have been thinking about my options in the mean time and it seems like dispatching would be an interesting job that I could stay at if I am stuck waiting for years or never get a controller job.

For an applicant with no aviation experience (outside of ATC school), is it reasonably simple to get picked up? I understand I would be starting at the bottom and I am willing to re-locate.

I am just concerned about going to get my certification and then not being able to get a job for an extended period of time. I read on one school's website that most students have a job offer by the time they are done with the 6-week program - I find this VERY hard to believe. How is the job climate?

I really appreciate any insight.

Edit: I have a bachelors degree if that helps at all.

Last edited:
After you get out of school with your dispatch license, there are a few companies that will hire you. Pinnacle, Colgan and Mesa have all in the past hired right out of school.

They have, but beware.. alot of folks out of work with experience looking.. do your research on your own, here on FI and other places.. you will see that waiting is the norm... You idea is good, but your right to be concerned.. it never hurts to have an extra license in your pocket.. but keep your expectations in check and know that if you get hired, you will make around 28 to 30K and most shops are unionized, so there is no room for negociation.. a PHD would make no difference... good luck

Oh and buy the way... if you owned a school and wanted to get students to attend your dispatch course.. how would you market the job prospects... as rosy as possible right... so beware of who and where you take advise from.. look at it from all sides..

Last edited:
Also - how old are you? You need to be 23 to actually get the certificate, but there is no age limit for actually taking the course.

I'm 24 and willing to move for a job. My main question is, in the current industry climate, how in-demand are brand new dispatchers?

Thanks for all the info!

Freshly minted dispatchers are generally in demand at the regionals and smaller cargo operators. The best thing I can say is to do your research on the various companies, taking a look at not only the company itself, but where it's located; cost of living, location, climate, transportation, etc. There's no "true" answer here, because that depends entirely on your personal preferences.

The other thing you need is timing. I was lucky to go from license to classroom in the span of 2 weeks, but I also had good timing with my resume and checkride date, as well as being interviewed right at the tail-end of an opening. Heck, the original class date I was given was 6 months down the road.

I know some that had to wait 6 months or more to land a job simply based on the timing of the class dates.

I had landed a job before I got my ticket. However, the offer letter stated that I have the job under the condition that I pass my exam. So that added a little more stress to it haha. I had some in my class go from ticket to job in 3 months, others like me instantly. It's all relative

Latest resources

Back