• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Time for re-regulation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well we could still be using trains if we wanted to regulate everything. The sophistication of yield management, fleet management, cost containment, labor negotiations, were not part of a regulated system. Much more time was spend lobbying Congress and the CAB for a good route. Running the airline was even more political.

Pubs stop that, you are dealing with reality. This is a pilot board it does not deal with reality.

Icelandair said:
The LCA's do like to cherry pick. Tell me how you would get from Lewiston, ID to Grand Forks, ND on Southwest? Well to even get to an airport w/ southwest service, you have to drive 4 hours down to Boise. Soutwest doens't even serve MSP, i'm not sure what the closest airport is to Grand Forks, but you can be assured it is several hours driving distance away. So let the legacies go away, and who is going to serve these places?

Ummm, heloooooo , you're just not getting it, if it's not profitable to run airline service on a city pair, then it shouldn't be done. Thats the whole concept, and it just apparenty keeps bouncing off your skull. If a route doesn't make money by itself, and it doesn't add revenue to the airline in the larger picture (example: feeding a hub, resulting in additional revenue) then **DON"T FLY IT** it's that simple. That's what Southwest is doing, and it's not a crime, yet you keep referring to it as if it's some sort of unspeakable practice.

Look, there is no air service between Dover-Foxtrot, Maine and Grandpa's Knob Vermont, and if you want to get there it will take more than 4 hours of driving.....but so what? and yes I think essential air service to rural towns with highway access are a complete waste of my money. Yes I've seen the empty Metros land and take off in Glasgow Montana and I've seen that no-one gets on and ono-one gets off, And I think it's high time we pulled a plug on that waste of money.

To expand my sunscreen store analogy, it's as if you think that it is mandatory that anyone who wants to sell sunscreen, must open a sunscreen store in Ketchikan, to be open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, just for that one cruise ship passenger a year who is going to Jamaica next and wants to buy a tube.

A Squared said:
Look, there is no air service between Dover-Foxtrot, Maine and Grandpa's Knob Vermont, and if you want to get there it will take more than 4 hours of driving.....but so what? and yes I think essential air service to rural towns with highway access are a complete waste of my money. Yes I've seen the empty Metros land and take off in Glasgow Montana and I've seen that no-one gets on and ono-one gets off, And I think it's high time we pulled a plug on that waste of money.

The EAS concept is based on sound economic principles, although it's a bit complex and not always perfect. In theory, providing air service to rural communities pays for itself by improving the economy in the area, increasing the tax base, and therefore increasing tax revenue.

ackattacker said:
The EAS concept is based on sound economic principles, although it's a bit complex and not always perfect. In theory, providing air service to rural communities pays for itself by improving the economy in the area, increasing the tax base, and therefore increasing tax revenue.
Yes, I understand the theory behind EAS, the thing is the theory is fundamentally flawed. In Theory, if you provide air service it will attact industry to the area and htat will build economic prosperity with jobs and taxes. Here's the reality, if goodyear wants to build a tire plant they're going to build it, now if there airline service to Glasgow, they might build it in Glasgow, if not, guess what, they're still going to build it somewhere, and there will stll be the same number of jobs and the same amount of increased tax revenue, it just won't be in Glasgow. tell you what go to Glassgow and look around, it's a run-down depressed cow town, with no industry. The daily airline service seems to have really accomplished a great deal there.

A Squared said:
Yes, I understand the theory behind EAS, the thing is the theory is fundamentally flawed. In Theory, if you provide air service it will attact industry to the area and htat will build economic prosperity with jobs and taxes. Here's the reality, if goodyear wants to build a tire plant they're going to build it, now if there airline service to Glasgow, they might build it in Glasgow, if not, guess what, they're still going to build it somewhere, and there will stll be the same number of jobs and the same amount of increased tax revenue, it just won't be in Glasgow. tell you what go to Glassgow and look around, it's a run-down depressed cow town, with no industry. The daily airline service seems to have really accomplished a great deal there.

It's true that Goodyear could build their plant anywhere... but if they build it in an area that's already prosperous then they pay more for labor and land, make less money, and pay less taxes. So it's better that they build it in a more rural area.

I didn't mean to get into the position of defending a goverment handout program... but the issue is more complex than you've made it seem. There are plenty of very good reasons to fight the povertization of rural america. It's not enough to move all the jobs to New Jersey and leave it at that. If you leave communities behind, you end up with abject poverty which ends up as a economic and social anchor. Witness New Orleans. Poor areas increase crime and cost billions in law enforcement, medical, and social security programs.

Also, bringing prosperity to an already prosperous area has less net social effect, sort of a law of diminishing returns. The prosperity a Goodyear plant brings to community like Glasgow will vastly improve the infrastructure, education, and upward mobility of its residents. The prosperity a Goodyear plant brings to, say, Boulder Colorado is a few more SUV's and rising housing prices. Guess which one mays more dividends in the long run?

ToiletDuck said:
Wouldn't the airlines have to recieve all the taxes though to make it work? If it helps the local governments and such yet they don't get the money from the taxes then they will still lose money.

there's two differnet things being discussed:

1) Whether airlines have an obligation to fly routse which aren't profitable, which is more or less related to the topic ofhte thread.
and

2) Essential Air Services contracts, in which the government pays airlines to provide airline service to places which will never make money. This part is a little off the topic of the thread. The example I gave was Glasgow Montana which is served by Big Sky, Glasgow is a miniscule town of a little over 3000 people, with a very few much smaller towns in the area. (Frazier, pop 403, Nashua pop 375, Vandalia, pop. 35, FOrt Peck pop 325) Bear in mind that this isn't some roadless town in the wilderness where the only way to get there is by air or dogsled. Glasgow has an Interstate highway running right through it. Yet, our Tax Dollars pay for this airport, serving maybe 4000 people to have twice daily airline service during the week, and once daily during the weekend. How much does this cost? THe EAS contract for Montana was costs 5.7 million dollars, for service to 8 towns. If you divide equally that's $710,000 dollars we pay so a town of 3000 can have twice daily air service. All so thye don't have to drive a few hours on hte interstate.

Like I said in a previous post, on the few occasions I have been through Glasgo, I was present each time when the flight arrived, and like I said, it was empty, (except for the pilots of course)

To answer your original question of whather the airline makes money or not, yes they make money by flying empty airplanes around, it's like magic. Big Sky wins, GLasgow wins, Montana's Congressmen win, the only loser is the taxpayer who is footing the bill.

Last edited:
When I was in Gallup, Mesa came in there because of EAS funding. But like others have said, how many people are going to use it, when the airport is adjacent to an interstate highway, and then 2 hours from a major city like Albuquerque. Why spend money to go to the airport, check in, get on a flight which goes to ABQ, and then get your luggage, and then be without a car, when in reality, if someone had just got in their car and went, would probably have needed less time in the end, would have a car and spent less money.

They had more flights in a month, than they actually had passengers in that month.

The concept of EAS was born of the concern with deregulation that airlines would not serve smaller towns and that air service was a right for these cities.

OK, then we will pay the airline from taxes to fly aircraft and keep the communities happy. Think postal system.

The problem with this and with the thread here is that when you introduce artificial components in a free market, things have consequences you may or may not have thought of. We also have costs associated with the airport and maintaining an airport with scheduled service which is another issue.

Should we abandon these cities, and as to the airports, there is not one in the country that does not feed at the Federal feed trough. The thing is that these decisions then become political footballs and away we go. This is what was wrong with the CAB in the end.

Latest resources

Back