Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

andyd

Fellow Pilots,

As much as I dislike Government interference in our affairs, private or public, I feel that the time has come for re-regulation of portions of the the US Domestic Airline Industry in regards to fuel cost's, associated overhead, tax relief and domestic ticket pricing.

For the past 7 years the traveling public has enjoyed less than cost airfares subsidized with the pay, benefits and retirements of airline employees. This has to stop. With the continued weakening of the US Dollar and subsequent increase in the cost of Oil and Fuel the liquidity of all US Air Carriers is in jeopardy. There is nothing left to cut. Wages are at a 30 year low (when adjusted for inflation we make less than we did in 1978), our medical benefits are a fraction of what they used to be and we've lost our retirement.

Everything has been outsourced to low bid contract workers, reservations, maintenance, cleaners, rampers and the list goes on. Again, there is nothing left to cut. If something isn't done and done by the end of this fiscal year I predict that several more US Carriers will liquidate, one of them possibly a Major Carrier.

What am I proposing? Partial re-regulation of the Domestic US Market. It should be illegal to sell a seat on a segment for less than the cost of providing the service. Airlines should not be shouldered with an insane tax code that puts us into the red while the oil company's that are supplying the fuel post record profits.

1. The minimum ticket price per segment should be based on actual operating cost + fuel.
This would be determined by using the US weekly average on highway costs of gasoline
multiplied by the average mileage per car multiplied by distance. For example: FLL to
SEA is 3250 miles/25mpg x $3.55 per gallon: $461 base price JUST for fuel, CASM
(Cost per seat mile) excluding fuel, per airline (as reported in quarterly filings with the
Securities and Exchange Commission) would be added to the minimum fuel charge.
Airlines would continue to be able to compete on a cost and competitive basis but fuel
would be taken OUT of the equation.

2. Tax Relief: The Airline industry should be treated NO different that the Surface
Transportation Industry. The related fuel-surcharges should not be treated as revenue
for tax purposes. The fuel surcharge above and beyond a base rate of $1.12 per gallon
should be excluded: Which is the same that the Trucking Industry currently enjoys and
has for years.

If something isn't done to correct the situation eventually market forces will prevail in the
failure of additional airlines. It is my personal belief that Frontier Airlines will not emerge
from Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. I also believe that there will be more to follow. Eventually the market will correct itself but at what cost? The system is already running at full capacity and is straining at every seam. If something, possibly such as I am proposing, isn't done about the problem the cost's to the Industry will be insurmountable and the US consumer will feel the pain that will be exponentially higher than that of which I am proposing. Initially load factors would drop as the consumer adjusts to paying $1500 for a round-trip coast to coast ticket, but the higher fair would enable the carriers to post a profit with a MUCH lower load factor. The US consumer has adjusted quite easily to $3+ per gallon fuel, $4 per gallon milk,$3 per loaf of bread and $400,000 homes: They will adjust to increased airfares as well.

If you agree with me on some of my ideas, all of them or disagree...I encourage you to write me back for discussion. Please feel free to forward this to all Industry types on your personal email list. I will be forwarding it to my US Congressmen, my MEC, ALPA and I STRONGLY encourage you to do the same.

Fly Safe!

I like the idea. The only slight modification I'd make is an allowance for the fact that the car driving 3000+ miles would likely carry at least 2 people--thus reducing the fuel cost by half. I still like the concept, though!

I, too, am all for a market economy and survival of the fittest and all that, but when the bankruptcy code allows carriers to survive when they shouldn't and then use the savings attained via the bankruptcy process to dump fares on the market below cost, the entire industry suffers.

If [insert your favorite Asian country] were to sell VCR's in the United States at below cost, we'd be screaming "dumping" at the top of our lungs. When airlines continue to sell tickets at below cost, not only does the general public not care, it's seen as an entitlement.

The only entity I've seen able to sustain a deficit year after year after year is the Federal Government. Unfortunately, if an airline continues to lose money, it'll go out of business. I think this point is lost on the general public and even airline employees.

Deregulation is about flying as a right of the people. See the episode of "Airline" where the pax shows up with a piece of luggage that is roach infested and is kicked off the flight.

Regulation was flying as a privilege. Those who could afford it, did. Those who couldn't went AmTrak or Greyhound.

I'm all for REGULATION and the payrates that would come with.

Please feel free to forward this to all Industry types on your personal email list. I will be forwarding it to my US Congressmen, my MEC, ALPA and I STRONGLY encourage you to do the same.

Fly Safe!

andyd,

Your "Communist Manifesto" is a grammatical mess of incorrectly used apostrophes, etc... :eek: Run that puppy by a high school graduate before forwarding to anyone.

BBB

I guess this is the type of thing we need to get used to the next four years when one of the three liberals become president?
Great idea Comrade

Price controls often have the opposite effect from what they were intended to do.

How long do you think partial regulation would last? Once you give them a little control over you life or operation, it won't be long before their lust for power will have them control the whole thing.

Last edited:
I seem to notice a "convenience fee" on everything these days. I'd say flying across the country in 4 hours as opposed to driving for 2-3 days is quite a nice "convenience". Not to mention the expenses required for driving a few days..(hotels, food, sex, etc.). :)

Great ideas. I would go even further and create a national line of seniority along with minimum standardized payrates that the government sets.

Great ideas. I would go even further and create a national line of seniority along with minimum standardized payrates that the government sets.

Thats a great idea. The gov't should also tell us where to work and when, and what kind of house to live in, and what kind of car to drive.

They could also take our paychecks and then divy them up among every citizen, so that no one is any better than anyone else.

But we need someone in charge of this system. Someone who is hones, and fair. How about me?!

Latest resources

Back