time for change?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
.02 from the other side of the fence...

I started out as a CFI, did some piston cargo and piston corporate, got the magic 1500 hours, got real tired of CFI'ing, the enxt step would have been flying bank checks in airplanes that I wouldn't fly if I had a choice. Didn't have enough multi time and no jet time, so the airlines were out (1982-84). So I went back to my engineering background "to make real money" Been at it ever since.

Do I regret the decision? Well, sometimes when I get on one of the big silver birds, and I glance into the front office, yes. I know that if I would have stuck it out, I could be up there.

But...

I love my job. I have a beutiful, talented 10 year-old daughter, and I am teaching her to fly our C-170. It is so nice to be able to fly when I want, where I want, and no pressure to be anywhere. We fly all over the East Coast, Martha's Vinyard, Cape Cod, etc. Next April, we are going to Sun-n-fun for the first time.

But... the smell of burning jet fuel.... That's something I do regret. I will never know what it's like to have that kind of power in my hands. (Unless I win the lottery some day)

You need to ask yourself a very honest question: Do you love flying for the flying, and will you be happy flying GA aircraft for the rest of your life? Or, are you enamoured with the bells and whistles? I find that the thing I miss most is being sharp in IFR. I think that the IFR is the hardest thing to keep up.

I don't know how old you are, or what your personal situation is, but the longer you wait, the harder it will be to justify leaving a six-figure job to make 20,000 a year flying for a regional.

It is a hard decision, good luck.

thanks iceman, good post. I have a desire to go upside down more than long haul people moving. Also flying AND finance are pretty much the 2 things I see myself doing in life. Whether it be flying for a paycheck and investing on my own or investing for a paycheck and flying on my own. Im really pretty torn but am actually leaning toward the stock broker position. I figure Im pretty close to airline mins and if I ever really wanted to get back into it I wouldnt be far from an airline job. I also realize Im young enough at 21 to maybe take some time off and get back into the game without being far behind. Thanks again for everyones input it really was a help.

Almerick07
I was all for being an airline pilot growing up. Nothing was going to stop me from it, I scarficed a lot growing up by staying in school and making it to a regional position by the age of 22. I worked at the regional for 2 years and to be honest with you I hated it. I thought the glamer of being an airline pilot, traveling was the greatest, but when I got my taste of it, I hated it.

I was single and in my twenties and I knew if there was ever a family in my future I would hate this even more. I love to fly and it was one of the biggest decision I had to make. One, all the money I invested in flight training and college and now with one decision it seemed all wasted. I looked at my options and knew at my age I could always return.

I decided to quit and I didn't even have a job lined up. The only previous experience I had was in construction, so I got a job at a General Contractor. 4 years later I own my own company, have a wife and a brand new baby. I look back at my decision and not once regret it, but I do miss the flying aspect. To cure my addiction I can always fly at my local airport.

I tell you the best part of my day now is coming home at 5pm and seeing and spending time with my family. I make good money, have the flexibility in my schedule and the most important thing is that I have control in my future not the industry. I wont miss any holidays or birthday parties or any family event.

It is a tough decision no matter how you cut it. Some people are just made to be an airline pilot and lvoe the traveling aspect, that was not me. I found out with real expereince and not by advice. You have to go with what you feel is the right decision. You will always have regrets in life, but it is what you make of the opportunities you have in front of you.
Anthony

Latest resources

Back