Time adjustments for logbooks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

highside

As I look towards a transition to civilian flying I'm wondering how to convert my mil time (takeoff to touchdown) to civ time (allows for taxi time), for airline apps. I've heard adding .2 for every sortie as a technique. Sounds reasonable. Anybody with experience in this area? How will they view this seemingly arbitrary addition to every sortie in my logbook? I flew civilian before military so I've continued to keep a complete log of all flights unlike some mil guys who rely on flight records for that. I definitely know its not fair to compete against guys who have been logging taxi time. Thoughts?

There is no set std...for example, SWA allows you to add .3 per sortie...FEDEX allows you to add .2 per sortie....you can pick one or the other for your non-specific resumes, but be sure to ask the specific airline on how they do there conversion when filling out your application or submitting a company specific resume (...they may even multiply any fighter time you have by another factor giving you even more total time)...most military people have found it best to take a long a "simple - easy to explain" spreadsheet showing exactly how you did your conversion from your military flight summary. Best of luck...keep moving the mission downrange safely.

The best way is to keep that logbook of yours correct and consistant with what your military forms list.

It is a companies option as to whether they want to consider a "Conversion Factor". Give them what you have and let them sort out your times.

If you go ahead and put in your logbook some conversion factor (Not FAA Approved), and you show up for a job interview at a place which has a different, or no conversion factor at all. Your times are going to be totally different from what your AF Form says.

Log your time the most conservative and correct way, keep it simple, and you will not have any problems keeping it straight. Don't change your logbook to conform to ONE airline.

Keep your logbook straight. Use it and your AF forms to fill out each airlines APP or Flight time matrix, which will include "Their" Factor.

Last edited:
Don't add any military taxi time to your logbook. Just make it match your military flying records and use it as a backup. When you get called for an interview all they will want to see is your military flight records. I keep my military log book and civilial log book separately.

highside,

Like these guys said, & just to reiterate, don't convert your log book. But,do keep it accurate, including a sorite count. I have an electronic version (Logbook Pro) that I balance with my Navy logbook each month. I put in seperate columns for sortie count, Aircraft commander sorties & IP sorties. When it comes time to fill out an application, I can then easily do the conversions approriate to that company. Whether the conversion is (total + X*total) or (total + Y/sortie*#sorties) I have the info right at hand. I usually export a total report to excel, do the conversions and save the excel file.

Hope this helps & good luck,

I did not have a logbook when I interviewed at SWA and UPS last year. I just took the 1 page summary from AFORMS and let them figure it out. I was hired at both BTW.

Best to keep civilian logbook seperate. At the interview bring in civilian logbook and Military AForms. Just make sure PIC + SIC = Total Time. Most companies don't give a flying crap about IP, Evaluator, and Other (Sim, Bunk time). I would bet most companies don't know about A code time either, so I wouldn't worry about that. I've been hired at 2 majors and 2 minors without a question. As stated earlier, make sure PIC+SIC=TT.

Cheers!

If you're a military pilot, companies don't seem very concerned about exact breakdowns of your flying time . . . just the most important . . what your were flying and about how much PIC. They'll accept the military form usually without comment or question. I wouldn't get wrapped up with taxi time.

Latest resources

Back