• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

tidbit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont know about bears in the flightdeck, but didnt United (or was it America West) have a pig in First Class. The whole story was that it was a service animal, but I think it was a new security measure. Pig feacis is a very deadly weapon. Not only that but it can be used to block access to the flightdeck and alert flightcrew members of suspicious activity by Oinking very loudly.

Attackers as inflight meals...

I like this idea, fish/chicken grease followed by hungry bear...one problem I see is with the fact that most airlines are cutting back on inflight meal service. Considering the fact that the flying public is scary dumb, once the bear begins to eat, they may follow suit. Now we have a hungry bear and many hungry dumb dumbs chowing on the attacker. I can see the complaints to management already...

I was enjoying the inflight service, very unique. All of a sudden a large hairy passenger ate my meal. I should therefor fly for free, forever. And send me some of the fish/chicken stuff, it was delicous.

avbug said:
The comments to which you refer in quotes are a direct quote removed from the latest electronic mailing of Aviation Week and Space Technology. Take it for what it's worth, and take your issue up with them, not with me. I found the comment interesting.

Pardon my mistake. Since you didn't use quotation marks or cite which part of your post was a direct quote, I assumed it to be of your own words. I thought you were making a commentary on the ASW article.

If you don't care for my comments, then skip them. Go elsewhere. Read someone else's comments. Don't be burdened by a thing I have to offer. In this particular case, don't shoot the messenger; the post simply passed along info sent out into the public domain, which appeared to be of some interest.

Not at all. I do care for your comments.
You keep telling people who disagree with you to ignore you or go away. I like to debate, and I thought you did too. If your goal is to simply lecture and not have it open to discussion, that's your right, but I thought you liked to discuss things.

Friend,

I'm certainly open to a discussion of the facts, but don't care to discuss slights, such as "rants", and what I do or don't believe. Concerning this thread, rather than attack my personal crediibility or consistancy of opionion, why not simply address the issue of fires on board the aircraft.

I made no observation concerning the viability or practicality of knives or edged weapons, or any other sharp implement on board an aircraft. I typically wear five blades in the form of a swiss army knife, a utility tool, and sometimes a small 2" clipit utility blade. I've carried them through security for years without impunity, and have remarked on many occasions that this is a big failing in security. I've always been told that this is ridiculous; that no one would ever attempt something using such a small blade (the most effective blade length for offensive or defensive use in close quarters is an average 3").

However, the article in aviation week concerned on board fires, I clipped and pasted a portion which made commentary on passenger assistance in fighting a fire, and specifically identified a case in which a passenger used a personal implement to open paneling in order to inject firefighting agent.

Owing to the present situation, I certainly do not believe that the carriage of any sort of implement by passengers is a wise idea.

With respect to this thread, I believe a better soloution would be the use of velcroed or quick remove-panels which allow access to spaces likely to contain a fire. Many business aircraft and personal aircraft utilize such systems. For heavier panels, the use of camlocks or dzus type fasteners, or butterfly dzus fasteners, would ensure the ability to remove a panel quickly for access. For those areas the use of lightweight conduit would prevent or discourage discreet passenger attacks on wiring harnesses or bundles.

An alternate soloution is the inclusion of small access panels spaced at regular intervals to act as pop-out portals to discharge an extinguisher into. In such cases the use of a small removable access panel would allow agents such as Halon to work much more effectively in immediately combating the fire. The inclusion of small plugs in each panel which are head sensitive would show the location closest to the heat source, for making the most efficient use of hand units on the source of the fire.

The issue of knives on passengers for the purpose of egress of firefighting/rescue only serves to demonstrate that the issue is far more complex than box cutters and guys with beards.

Latest resources

Back