Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CLECA

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
All that matters is..... did they deploy the TR's or not?

Why don't other carriers use em? Is there still a problem with uncommanded deployment?

engine FOD damage and some airline have maintance agreements with the manufacture based on how many TR deployments/ reduced thrust takeoffs an aircraft does.

chperplt said:
If your question is based on that quote, you missed the point of the quote.

No, it just reminded me that no one else really uses them and couldn't remember why. We use them on every landing and I knew others don't. Someone, I think it was CHQ, that has a few A/C without them even installed.

CLECA said:
No, it just reminded me that no one else really uses them and couldn't remember why. We use them on every landing and I knew others don't. Someone, I think it was CHQ, that has a few A/C without them even installed.

We had one at CHQ on the United Express side. That airplane has been added to the Charter department. Trans-states has a crap load of E145 with no TR's. It doesn't really make sense to me either. Last time I sat in the Jumpseat of a TSA plane the capt. was explaining to me that they take a weight penalty on planes without TR's.

Originally Posted by Mmmmmm Burritos
All that matters is..... did they deploy the TR's or not?

CLECA said:
Why don't other carriers use em? Is there still a problem with uncommanded deployment?

Whoosh... there goes a fly ball out to left... waaaaaaaay over his head!

BlackPilot628 said:
We had one at CHQ on the United Express side. That airplane has been added to the Charter department. Trans-states has a crap load of E145 with no TR's. It doesn't really make sense to me either. Last time I sat in the Jumpseat of a TSA plane the capt. was explaining to me that they take a weight penalty on planes without TR's.

I think here at CHQ we have more than one 145 without reversers. They are the "EP's" that everybody loves to complain about. I don't know the whole story, but I think the company picked them up on the cheap from some European operator. Apparently, over in Europe, an operator is charged landing fees based on the weight of the plane, so they built some 145's without a few extra things like thrust reversers, a galley (lousy for customer service, yes), etc to lighten them up (most of the LR's come in around 27,500 lbs BOW, give or take a few hundred, but the EP's are as much as 1,000 lbs less). And in the circle of life of an airliner, they have found their way to CHQ. And I do seem to recall that they are ghost planes without any specific colors for charters and maintenance spares around the system as needed. How many exactly are in the fleet, I don't know.

I have also heard that maintenance is reporting much better brake life in those airplanes than the LR's (with the TR's). The EP's have the smaller "135 brakes" that tend to get hotter with or without the use of reverse. And I guess carbon steel brakes tend to last longer if they get good and hot during use.

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
[/i]

Whoosh... there goes a fly ball out to left... waaaaaaaay over his head!

Oh that clears things up. Thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I guesss he has no Fu@king clue either.

BlackPilot628 said:
Last time I sat in the Jumpseat of a TSA plane the capt. was explaining to me that they take a weight penalty on planes without TR's.

actually, thats BS. Aircraft are certified for take off and landing distances without TRs, so there would be no penalty.

Latest resources

Back