Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Three Planes, Two Dead, One Crash...California Aerial Filming Ends in Tragedy.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not our favorite freight mutt ...

Associated Press

CALIFORNIA CITY, Calif. - A jet plane that was filming scenes for a movie crashed into a mountain, killing the two men aboard, authorities said.
"Nobody survived," said Cmdr. Dave Nelson of the Kern County Sheriff's Department's Search & Rescue division.

Skip Robertson, 43, of Klamath Falls, Ore., and Terry Fregly, 60, of Tallahassee, Fla., died when the L-39 jet crashed and exploded at about 8:30 a.m. Sunday, authorities said.

"The aircraft was destroyed," said Allen Kenitzer, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration in Seattle.

The jet was with two other planes out of the California City airport when the pilot lost control and slammed into the mountain about 80 miles northeast of Los Angeles, the coroner's office said.

The plane may have clipped a ridge before crashing 13 miles north of the town of Mojave, authorities said.

Reached in Tallahassee on Monday, Fregly's wife said the Florida real estate developer was a passenger in the two-seat aircraft, which was owned by a friend, and was not handling pilot or photographic duties.

The jet was registered to Mach1 Aviation, a Universal City firm that supplies military aircraft to the movie industry, Kenitzer said. A call and an e-mail to the company seeking comment were not immediately answered Monday.
The L-39 Albatros is a single-engine jet that can fly at nearly 500 mph and originally was built as a trainer for Soviet-era fighter pilots.

Employees at the Mojave Airport told KERO-TV that the plane was called "Wild Child."

Mach 1 Aviation's Web site said the plane was used as a stand-in in a scene filmed for the movie "Jarhead."

The crash was under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board.

RIP to the two gentlemen who were killed.

AIR2MUD said:
While I didn't enjoy his videos, it would be a tragedy to lose another Flight Info personality.

I, for one, will be praying that it wasn't him.
Looks like your prayers were answered.

What is good ole' Caneman's name anyways?

Glad to hear it wasn't him involved, although our prayers goes out to the pilots families who were.

Say Again Over said:
What is it with the L-39, seems like quite a few go in.:confused:

Yea really, what IS up wit dat?

Same thing that is up with a lot of other warbird accidents. Someone with tons of money buys a cool toy, goes out and buys themself a LOA to operate it (which takes very few hours to aquire usually), and then goes out and tries to fly it like they are an instant expert. I'm not saying this is what happened in this case, but we all know it happens frequently.

Last edited:
Caneman

Guys,

Worry not, my buddy "Caneman" has surfaced ... he sent me the following note to post here on the board:

Hello to everyone. Thank you for all your support of my videos and my comedy entertainment. At this time I am on the road
working for a show. I do not have my computer to stay up on the news with everyone. I will do my best to answer any emails
to me at [email protected] however I will not be able to fill anyone in on the details of my current project. It will be out
soon.

I found some more DC8 video footage, and will be asking the other crewmembers in it if I can put them on the website. When
I get home in about 3 more weeks I will edit that and see what happens.

I am well and having fun.
Sincerely,
Caneman

www.caneman.tv
[email protected]

ENDQUOTE

I don't think he knew about the Kern County accident ...

TransMach

Well thats great to hear that Caneman is alive and doing well.

My wife and I had watched several of Caneman's videos, including the Baston Hombre show, and she got a particular kick out of the DC-8 video. I think that's how shes always pictured us at work. She seemed really concerned when I told her about the accident in California, and how we hadn't heard from Caneman yet.

So last night we were standing in the kitchen fixing dinner, and out of no where she says "I sure hope everythings allright." I couldn't figure out what she could possibly be talking about, so when I inquired, she said "That Caneman guy, he was really funny, and that'd be really sad if that was him that was killed."

Glad to hear we finally have confirmation that he's allright!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back