Three and one half stripes???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SSDD

I was in the hotel lobby in LA a couple of days ago, when this Asian airline crew came down. The FA's had dark green uniforms, and the pilots light blue with gold stripes.

There was of course, the captain with 4 stripes, an FO with 3 strips, and a third crewmember with 3 full strips and the 4th stripe which was 1/2 the width of the other three.

I'd never seen this before. What is he, a lance captain? An international relief pilot?

Thanks

Stripes

Could be a PFE maybe on a DC-10. Then when he gets promoted to lets say to a B747 he gets 4 stripes. (Just my .02 cents)

P.S. I saw a PFE (International Airlines) with 3 1/2 gold stripes with thin red in btw (DC-10). Incidently same airline with a PFE with 4 gold and thin red stripes(B747).

Cruise pilot?

Some of the Asian carriers have them. Don't know anything about the uniforms though.

i know a guy who wears five stipes since the company makes him be dual qualified without extra pay since they will not hire more pilots. also because his dog ate the four bar ones.

Man, these Hasselhoff avatars have me in stitches. I took in 15 minutes of Knight Rider the other day and just about pissed myself. "Kit, I need you buddy", "Right away Michael". Classic. Bonnie was hot though.

3.5 striper

You description sounds exactly like EVA Air. 3.5 striper is an RCA (Relief Captain). They're typed and qualified to sit in the left seat during cruise and take their PCs from the left seat. Did you also notice the 3.5 stripper does not have scramble eggs on his hat.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back