thoughts on scenic airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyt mjr

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on scenic.
like, if pilots have to sign a contract, and a rough idea of pay rates and scedules etc...

just looking for some info, thinking about maybe applying there soon.

thanks for the help!

There is quite a bit of info on senic. Check the search function.
seems like an awesome place to work.
adios
snowman

to whomever can answer...

I read in another Scenic thread that some of the f/o's work a 4/3 schedule as opposed to the 5/2 schedule. What percentage get that shorter week?

Also, does staffing vary seasonally? In other words, are you going to be laid off during the slow period?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these.

PK

Ill reinforce that there is a ton of good info if you do a search.

Also...

Scenic to the best of my knowledge has never furloughed due to seasonal changes. Yes the summer months are the busiest but they are incredibly busy. So one persons view may be that the winter months are regular and not slow.

I believe the majority of the FOs have a 4-3 shedule...but you do in many ways have the option of both. Some lines have 4-3 week followed by a 5-2 week. Many people at Scenic are really trying to pound out the hours so they take a 5-2 making it easier for those who want to work less or commute have a 4-3. There are many captains right now with both schedules that are flying over 100 hours a month.

Pilots do have to sign a contract...but its more of a gentlemens agreement. If you leave within a year you prorate pay the amount remaining on your $6500 (I believe thats the total right now) contract. Its not legally binding (so Ive been told - and some leave without paying) but Scenic will be very good to you and many have come back from furloughed gigs and Scenic welcomed them back with open arms....as captains....and captains make good money and are home every night (as everyone is).

The pay info is out there so I wont repeat it. You will also find many opinions on Scenic as well. Believe what you will. I think its a great place to work and build experience...especially for lower time guys. We just had someone leave for Allegiant and there may be a few to follow. We also have a few guys with SWA ties that may be heading that direction soon (believe it or not). Its flying Twin Otters in and out of the Grand Canyon...being home everynight...etc. Worst case scenario you are logging 121 twin turbine time as a 800hr pilot (or whatever mins are right now).

Fly safe.

Irish Pilot said:
Ill reinforce that there is a ton of good info if you do a search.

Also...

Scenic to the best of my knowledge has never furloughed due to seasonal changes. Yes the summer months are the busiest but they are incredibly busy. So one persons view may be that the winter months are regular and not slow.

I believe the majority of the FOs have a 4-3 shedule...but you do in many ways have the option of both. Some lines have 4-3 week followed by a 5-2 week. Many people at Scenic are really trying to pound out the hours so they take a 5-2 making it easier for those who want to work less or commute have a 4-3. There are many captains right now with both schedules that are flying over 100 hours a month.

Pilots do have to sign a contract...but its more of a gentlemens agreement. If you leave within a year you prorate pay the amount remaining on your $6500 (I believe thats the total right now) contract. Its not legally binding (so Ive been told - and some leave without paying) but Scenic will be very good to you and many have come back from furloughed gigs and Scenic welcomed them back with open arms....as captains....and captains make good money and are home every night (as everyone is).

The pay info is out there so I wont repeat it. You will also find many opinions on Scenic as well. Believe what you will. I think its a great place to work and build experience...especially for lower time guys. We just had someone leave for Allegiant and there may be a few to follow. We also have a few guys with SWA ties that may be heading that direction soon (believe it or not). Its flying Twin Otters in and out of the Grand Canyon...being home everynight...etc. Worst case scenario you are logging 121 twin turbine time as a 800hr pilot (or whatever mins are right now).

Fly safe.
Sounds like a good retirement type job for older pilots that want to fly and stay home more and not necessarily move on to other airlines. Does Scenic have a lot of pilots like that?

How about jumpseat agreements? How many Scenic pilots commute and what is the furthest someone commutes from(just curious)?

WhiteCloud said:
Sounds like a good retirement type job for older pilots that want to fly and stay home more and not necessarily move on to other airlines. Does Scenic have a lot of pilots like that?

We do have a few. You work pretty hard though so that may make it less appealing to some. Its no 9-5.

As far as commuting we have agreements with several major carriers...and about 20 other airlines as well. I know of several that travel back and forth from both SLC and Phoenix...

Latest resources

Back