• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thoughts on Anchorage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
....hehehe...didn't mean for my misinfo to stir the pot so much....

How about this for a summary. MOST of the winter, its pretty cold, but no worse than a Great Lakes midwest winter. A FEW nights, however, an artic blast will drop things down for a spell and make it *& cold!

As for -20, -30, or -40, your car may tell the difference. Once I was out hoofing in below 0 weather, however, my frozen eyelids and nosehairs couldn't tell much of a difference.

All that aside--if I wasn't already so invested physically and emotionally in Bay County, I'd already be back in Anchorage. We sometimes discuss moving back for a "tour"...a 1-2 year move just for the benefit of our kids. We loved it there, and I'll bet you will too....

Lived in Anchorage for 4 years, moved about 6 months ago back to the Southwest. Both loved it and hated it.

Good points:
1. Some excellent schools available via lottery (you apply, and they pick names out of a hat, basically).
2. Some of the nicest people I've ever met.
3. Laid back attitude; not so much concern about what clothes you wear, what car you drive. There is a spirit of live and let live that I've not seen anywhere else in the US.
4. Most beautiful summers ever; not too hot and LONG days.
5. Parks within walking distance of almost every neighborhood with trails for bike riding and running/walking.
6. Lots of outdoor activities year-round, and it's beautiful almost all the time.
7. No sales tax and no income tax. Also, a small amount given each year called the permanent fund dividend, lately usually around 1,000 dollars.

Bad points:
1. Too far away from everything!! It costs around 400 dollars per ticket to fly anywhere in the US.
2. You can't go to a neighboring state very easily for a competitive price on anything, like cars, etc.
3. Prices can be insane for everyday things, and you have no choice, because you can't exactly drive to another state very easily for better prices. Also, very little competition among businesses, so good deals are few and far between. Basically, EVERYTHING is more expensive, and not just a little bit; at least 15% more.
4. Healthcare was terribly expensive for us.
5. The winters are misery if you have any proclivity to seasonal changes in mood. It's dark a lot and makes you want to eat all the time. Not unusual for a 10-pound winter weight gain, and then a 10-pound loss in the summer.
6. High car insurance.
7. Most franchises/chain stores in the United States run promotions which are not valid in Alaska; this gets annoying really quickly.
8. Not a lot of places to shop. One Nordstrom, Gap, JC Penny, Sears, and Fred Meyer. Not exactly a lot to choose from, and catalog/online shopping can be a pain with the extra charges just to ship to ANC.
9. Not exactly a cultural mecca, but a decent symphony.

I'm torn as to whether I'd live there again. For the most part, either people absolutely love it and never want to leave or they hate it and can't wait to go. Very few of us are between the two extremes. Good luck on your decision!

justthewife said:
Lived in Anchorage for 4 years, moved about 6 months ago back to the Southwest. Both loved it and hated it.

Good points:
1. Some excellent schools available via lottery (you apply, and they pick names out of a hat, basically).
2. Some of the nicest people I've ever met.
3. Laid back attitude; not so much concern about what clothes you wear, what car you drive. There is a spirit of live and let live that I've not seen anywhere else in the US.
4. Most beautiful summers ever; not too hot and LONG days.
5. Parks within walking distance of almost every neighborhood with trails for bike riding and running/walking.
6. Lots of outdoor activities year-round, and it's beautiful almost all the time.
7. No sales tax and no income tax. Also, a small amount given each year called the permanent fund dividend, lately usually around 1,000 dollars.

Bad points:
1. Too far away from everything!! It costs around 400 dollars per ticket to fly anywhere in the US.
2. You can't go to a neighboring state very easily for a competitive price on anything, like cars, etc.
3. Prices can be insane for everyday things, and you have no choice, because you can't exactly drive to another state very easily for better prices. Also, very little competition among businesses, so good deals are few and far between. Basically, EVERYTHING is more expensive, and not just a little bit; at least 15% more.
4. Healthcare was terribly expensive for us.
5. The winters are misery if you have any proclivity to seasonal changes in mood. It's dark a lot and makes you want to eat all the time. Not unusual for a 10-pound winter weight gain, and then a 10-pound loss in the summer.
6. High car insurance.
7. Most franchises/chain stores in the United States run promotions which are not valid in Alaska; this gets annoying really quickly.
8. Not a lot of places to shop. One Nordstrom, Gap, JC Penny, Sears, and Fred Meyer. Not exactly a lot to choose from, and catalog/online shopping can be a pain with the extra charges just to ship to ANC.
9. Not exactly a cultural mecca, but a decent symphony.

I'm torn as to whether I'd live there again. For the most part, either people absolutely love it and never want to leave or they hate it and can't wait to go. Very few of us are between the two extremes. Good luck on your decision!

This person hit the nail on the head. We lived there for almost five years and loved it. Winter weather there NORMALLY much milder than that of Detroit, Minneapolis, etc.

We would move back in a heartbeat to avoid all of the traffic, corruption, heat humidity, pollution and attitude that we deal with on a daily basis in ATL. Don't know who you have car insurance with, but mine was very reasonable in ANC- it almost doubled when we moved to ATL.

Enjoy it if you move! Its especially great if you love the outdoors.

How is the healthcare network for FedEx up there? Its pretty good in MEM, but I have heard not so good things about other locals.

AK Pilot friendly realtor

Several NWA pilots have been satisfied with Laura Halverson of Dynamic Properties and her assistance provided in their relocations to Anchorage, Alaska. PM me for her contact info if interested.

Another important point that I'm not sure was mentioned is the fact that Alaskan residents do not pay state income tax on earned income.

And if your wife and kids don't mind you turning into an alcoholic... ANC is you bag baby!!

PurpleTail said:
If your wife and kids don't mind the winters and the cold I would have moved to ANC. All trips out of ANC are international pay, cost of living could be worse (LAX) and there are lots of outdoor activities for family and kids.

For me, ANC was too cold for the wife and MEM was NOT even a consideration.

GL

Don't forget - the company considers it a domestic base, so the move is on your nickel.

That said, we are considering it - like Albie said, a "tour" for the experience. It was my second home at GAC and I loved it. Outdoor writer Ed Abbey said that the United States was once a platter of pork chops, and Alaska was the last one left....

Latest resources

Back