• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thoughts go out to AA pilots and their families

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any AAIR typed in the C550? If you feel like flying a S2 down from Sitka to Chino there's a few bucks to help with the bills, shoot me a pm.

FWIW Mesa could have you in a ground school in about a week. We are expanding again and management is telling new hires they can expect CA pay buy year three.

Again.. for what it's worth.

Two steps forward, one step back. Two steps forward, one step back. Believe me, thats the way most flying careers go. It's tough, but you will come out ok.

While you guys continue to look for new flying opportunities don't overlook other jobs outside of aviation. The pilots I have met at Avantair have always been friendly, articulate, have great customer service, patient, and hard working. To do what you do you must be organized, analytical, work long hours, travel, and change what you are doing at a moments notice. These are skills and personality traits in high demand throughout the Corporate World. It is how you put that information into a resume that companies can understand. It is the challenge that people coming out of the military have as well.

Look for young companies that aren't as hierarchal. You can always leave a job if you find a flying opportunity, or convince the owner to buy a plane when the business grows.

As a pretty senior Avantair pilot, and usually pretty positive-outlook person, I have been one to often speak of the good stuff we have had here. It's been a rough couple of years, and I have avoided complaining about it online, for the most part. But, gotta say, it's scary right now, and getting out of the flying biz has a lot of appeal.

I am a second career pilot, first one is calling me! Too bad being a ski-bum is lower on the poverty scale than a first year CFI!

I'm not looking thru Kool-Aid colored glasses, but as long as there are some owners out there with some stake in this, and people to fly them, we might have something to return to. Long or short term, one could stay current, at the very least. Reality is that it's kind of like an ILS to ACK at minimums, and when you ask the tower for the latest RVR, and they say "What do you need?"
You know you'll probably go missed, but just maybe... "Approach lights in sight..continue!"

That's the way it feels right now. Expect the worst, but just maybe something will materialize out of the fog.

And PS to everyone offering support and job help, Thanks.

^^^^ Well said-agree 100% :)

Guys, get the names of the owners off the FAA registry and call them. Maybe you can get 4 or 5 of them to take their airplane and fly it with just you. I know there are some legal hoops to jump through, but with a highly reduced buy out of the AA portion of the aircraft and some fancy paper work, you could have yourself a cush 91 gig in no time...and maybe even a pay raise.

Reality is that it's kind of like an ILS to ACK at minimums, and when you ask the tower for the latest RVR, and they say "What do you need?"
You know you'll probably go missed, but just maybe... "Approach lights in sight..continue!"

That's the way it feels right now. Expect the worst, but just maybe something will materialize out of the fog.

-Get the atis at your alternate
-Call the fbo at your alternate
-You're gonna need your alternate

From a netjets 495'er- good luck finding something else, the job market is somewhat better than it was in Jan 2010. I agree with the poster who said to call some owners about flying for them. I would also try to reach the leasing companies for the core fleet, if they are repo'd, there will be some contract flying there to move the aircraft.

Spirit Airlines is hiring fractional pilots. I would go there first. JB would be next because they are also hiring fractional/corporate pilots. If you simply can't afford to wait for a little while for an interview at Spirit or JB, Republic, XJT, Transstates and Eagle are options you might consider (especially if a pilot base is near your home). If needed, these can be placeholders in your career or you may actually like them - who knows? Several friends at Spirit and they enjoy it (2-3 year upgrade on the Airbus with many on order and several new pilot bases).

Good luck to all...

There have been two so far ask me about getting a job outside of aviation and replies have been less than stellar.

If you're considering it, the first place to start is by taking stock of what companies do business in your area. Make a list, and start looking at the positions they have open, taking note of the tone and verbiage used to describe those positions. Dust off your resume. Start relating your aviation experience to the key points the company you're looking at seems to be seeking. Transform that resume into something other than aviation oriented. Let your friends who work in the outside world take a look and make changes as well. If you need me to, PM me and I'll give you my email for me to look.

Most of the companies out there will have you fill out a profile and submit a resume then. You'll have to apply for positions from that uploaded resume individually.

It may take a little while for you to get some calls, but eventually they'll come. When they do, you have two things to sell. Equally important is selling yourself, but you'll also need to sell longevity. They know you're going to miss flying and want to get back to it. You'll have to convince them you'll be there a while and follow through. The next furloughed pilot may have his bacon saved by the example you set for the company.

Last, if you're thinking .gov jobs, you can probably forget it for a while. Contractors still have money though.

Latest resources

Back