• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This is what cabatoge will look like

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
However when looking at nations with the highest standard of living, they all happen to be nations with extremely high tax rates as well, such as the Scandinavian countries. How can that be? If the Republican talking points were correct, those countries should have terrible standards of living, not the highest in the world.
The problem is that while the Scandanavian countries have a very high tax rate which pays for medical, college, unemployment benefits and so much more, the middle class U.S. taxpayer pays nearly as much as the Scandanavian taxpayer and gets so little. No?

We pay federal tax, state tax, some pay local tax, then bring in your health care premiums, medicare, social security, and more. Go ahead. Count it up and see what total percentage of your gross paycheck you're paying to some government entity.

Yet we're getting so much less than these Scandanavian countries in return.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct. And the reason why we are getting so much less in return?
Answer: Because there isn't enough money in the Treasury to give you what you should be getting in return. Reason for that?
Answer: Because it has gone out to pay for tax cuts for the Rich, tax breaks for Corporations, subsidies to the likes of Exxon/Mobile, loopholes for G.E. and to pay for the U.S. to act as policeman to the rest of the world.

Yet Republicans want YOU to shoulder the burden for this in the form of lower or extinct benefits and lower or extinct services so that they can keep their wealthy political contributors (like the Koch Bros., Big Oil, Big Coal, Big Insurance, Big Pharma) in the status quo.

I hear so much talk from the Right about reform this and reform that. Great. Let's start with the Insurance industry. Ohhh, but when it becomes clear that reform is going to come out of the hide of Big Insurance who incidentally, has been raping the American taxpayer for decades, then the Republicans are suddenly against reform. They simply want to reform YOUR standard of living down to the level of India.

Answer: Because it has gone out to pay for tax cuts for the Rich, tax breaks for Corporations, subsidies to the likes of Exxon/Mobile, loopholes for G.E. and to pay for the U.S. to act as policeman to the rest of the world.
That about sums it up.

Sure as hell will never catch me on ANY third world carrier thats for sure. Hell I wouldn't fly on most foreign carriers.

The problem is that while the Scandanavian countries have a very high tax rate which pays for medical, college, unemployment benefits and so much more, the middle class U.S. taxpayer pays nearly as much as the Scandanavian taxpayer and gets so little. No?

We pay federal tax, state tax, some pay local tax, then bring in your health care premiums, medicare, social security, and more. Go ahead. Count it up and see what total percentage of your gross paycheck you're paying to some government entity.

Bingo, nice to see some intelligence in these discussions for once. Usually you just get over-simplistic radio personality parrots.

Sure as hell will never catch me on ANY third world carrier thats for sure. Hell I wouldn't fly on most foreign carriers.

Yup...the likes of Colgan is much safer...they only have highly qualified and well compensated aviators flying their planes. Or the Gulstream Academy, where FOs pay to fly from the right seat.

Last edited:

Yeah Lufthansa, KLM, British Airways, SAS, Air France, Air Canada, Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Thai, Qantas, Air New Zeland, ANA, Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, Qatar, Swiss, and Austrian are all so scary, have terrible safety records and clearly do not live up the level of service we expect from the U.S. carriers. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back