This has gotta suck for FLYI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captain Overs said:
Can you say Valu Jet? Accident waiting to happen?

Well I can say the two have nothing to do with each other. The ValuJet accident would have happened regardless of their mx practices. It was an illegal hazmat shipment improperly marked. The shipper was at fault and the company went bankrupt because of it. Unfortunately, so did ValuJet.

I don’t see the connection.

Peleton said:
We did not buy MAXIMO, it was a given to us, though we have paid for updates that always seem to be lacking. Checking the website of MRO it is kinda nice to see the many companies that use MAXIMO, including Boeing, USMC ect. It is not the super program like UAL'S, or other major airlines, but it is light years ahead of what we once had.

Secondly, MAXIMO is not so much the problem as the lack of training and the low quality individuals you get for 9/hour in the IAD region, that input information into the program. Management does not hire the right individuals for the data processing and software management functions. Like ALL airlines they are trying to get by with the least amount of people they can. The program is an asset tracking program, and it does what it is designed to do.

No excuse for a MX fine....are freaking kidding me. Every part of an airplane must be FAA/PMA approved, tracked, serviced, ROR, ect and everything has to be documented for the FAA and kept on file for years. Just the shear size of that task guarentees that errors will occur. It is just a matter of when and if the FAA finds about it and if they choose to fine the company. I mean UAL got in trouble for using speed tape illegally on a 727 a couple of years ago, yet I did not see that talked about too much. AA/AE did not service the oil correctly on the ERJ's for years and the got less of a fine than what was proposed to us. MX issues can and will occcur daily in this industry, just no way around that fact. The idea is to minimize the errors and try to learn from them.

BTW..The Mx guys are great to hang out with, if you get a chance check out the tool boxes in CAE. They have all the confiscated pictures from the 328 years taped to the tops.

I had TWO MX guys in my crashpad. The people using MAXIMO are not $9/hr office workers, they are certified A&P's. Now your saying MAXIMO was given to us...your pumping out false propaganda as if your management, feverishly defending our mistakes in the public eye. $100 million quarter loses, 700 pilots on the street, planes getting repoed...now more MX fines...

At least I can admit that it's embarrassing.

I will stand by my statement MAXIMO was free. We got the program free as a test to see if it would bridge into the avaition world. We have paid for updates the the program but I stated that earlier. If somebody is stating we paid for intial program I would like to see the bill of sale because EVERYBODY in MX managment, Corporate managment, ad down on all have statede the inital program was obtained free of charge.

Secondy, ask yor MX friends who inputed all the data into MAXIMO during the start of the transition. I have met and talked to the indivuals who did this I can tell you they were not AP/AI's. These were people hired as data processors for the great wage of less than 10/hour to spend hours upon hours to input the data into the program. Next time you see a position for network admin open up on corporate job postings see what the salary is and then look at the job description.

I refuse to acknowledge that is is embarassing to get nailed by the FAA for self disclosing MX oversights. It happens every day on every airline, so why should it be a surprise it happened to flyi.

To be exact ONE plane was repoed....635, the rest were returned to the lenders after mutually agreeing to part ways.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back