• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This had to hurt... for a second

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's my understanding that the Navy guy lived because when he went in head first, his helmet of other equipment FODed out the engine.

Referring back to the miriad aeronautical uses of monkeys, this is a good time to remind ourselves of the value of carrying monkey when working on a busy flight line. A monkey is much more likely to get drawn up an intake before a pilot, so long as the pilot doesn't cluth the monkey too tightly. (Good time to put socks on the hands and feet of the monkey so it doesn't clutch the pilot too tightly, either).

If you happen to glance at your shoulder and find your monkey missing, duck. There's probably a good reason.

The monkey does far less damage to the engine, and probably stands a greater chance of grabbing something before going up the tube.

Then again, monkeys aren't stupid enough to stand in front of a spinning jet engine, either.

Darwin wasn't so smart, after all.

OUCH!!!

Yep,
Saw the same navy video when I was working crew chief on the F-15, they played it over and over: in real-time, then slow mo. He went in head first, his helmet came off and shredded the turbines before his body hit the blades. He went in fast, all the way into the intake, couldn’t see him he was so far in. A little time passed, people were walking around the plane prepping it for launch. Nobody noticed him go in except the camera. He then slid/fell out of the intake, hitting the ground rather hard. (He didn’t land on his feet as you can imagine.) When he came out of the intake he looked like a wet noodle, almost like he had no bones in his body. I’m sure he had quite a few broken bones. He lay in front of the intake for another few seconds before anyone noticed him on the ground, then a little crowd gathered around him. The tape then stopped.

I was an amazing site I will never forget. Maybe it’s floating around the Internet as a MPEG. Wish I still had a copy of it.

Moral of the story, don’t hang around intakes.

Family Man

Latest resources

Back