Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lear Wanna Be

Presidentin' is hard
Position requires some physical exertion such as pulling, pushing, reaching, bending, standing, walking and light lifting of boxes, bags and electronic equipment not in excess of 30 lbs. Can involve long periods of sitting. Must maintain a First Class Medical Certificate. Typical Working Conditions: Airport operations in all types of weather. Long periods of sitting with exposure to bright sunlight. Airport ramp operations are noisy and can be hazardous without due caution. Special Requirements: Must be willing to work long hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays. Extensive travel required.

Really? Flying requires long periods of sitting in bright sunlight? Extensive travel? Are you kidding me, the nerve of that operation! Well, seems they are good at stating the obvious. Surprised they did not mention that they pay less than McDonalds. Wonder if there is a company policy against flights at FL410 now.

You will see this a lot. It is a pilot job description as interpereted by an HR goon and not a pilot.

So is Pinnacle the new worst company to work for? Is pay the issue? Aren't there tons of regional airlines that pay poorly?
I'm so freakin confused on this. One day everybody's slammin on Mesa and the next Pinnacle. Isn't pay and QOL the issue with almost all regionals?
How long is the list?
Discuss pilot turnover (is that 'attrition?') I sense that this may be my key to a new understanding. Anyone care to guess what's going to happen to the "state" of the regionals in the future?

I took a human resources class in grad school ... the description is there for legal reasons. Say someone had some wierd medical disease that made them allergic to sunlight but didn't mention it in the interview. If they all of a sudden said they couldn't work during the day, and the airline fired them, they could sue under the Americans With Dissabilities Act of 1990 for discrimination. To get around this problem, most employers try to be specific as possible about the physical demands and conditions.

A more realistic case would be a pilot who had difficulty sitting in one place for more than an hour at a time (say due to some back problem or something). Without specific mention of the job requirements, he or she might have a case against the airline (as crazy as it may seem).

Does it mention anything about being able to fly an airplane or is that not important to them??

mcjohn said:
So is Pinnacle the new worst company to work for? Is pay the issue? Aren't there tons of regional airlines that pay poorly?
I'm so freakin confused on this. One day everybody's slammin on Mesa and the next Pinnacle. Isn't pay and QOL the issue with almost all regionals?
How long is the list?
Discuss pilot turnover (is that 'attrition?') I sense that this may be my key to a new understanding. Anyone care to guess what's going to happen to the "state" of the regionals in the future?

They all suck!!!

The whole job description, in advance, is a thing fostered by endless cases involving workmen's compensation, attorneys ("wrongful termination"), state and federal mediation boards.
They put all that stuff there so that when someone gets hired, they can't say they can't lift 30 pounds.
I was involved with an unemployment hearing, where the guy said we had a hostile work enviroment. It was a long time ago, and the CEO got software religion, and said every computer had to have authorized, approved, purchased, licensed software. This clown installed his own version of a very expensive CAD package, and when we removed it, he said we created a hostile work enviroment.
We ended up paying him unemployment, because some bureaucrat agreed with him. go figure.
Anyway, it's the way our society has evolved.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back