Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Folding_Expert

The FNG
So, here I am up in the tower last night BSing with one of the senior air traffic controllers (on slow days I go up there and shoot the shiat with them.....supposedly they like talking to us lowly ramp workers).

Anyway, I was shocked when he told me that he thinks I should become an air traffic controller. I mean, after all, my memory sucks ass, I have a tendency to swear like a sailor under extreme pressure, and I can't stand stupid student pilots like me.

But he explained that by having a good overall picture of what goes on during flight operations, I am probably a prime candidate for the job (even more so now given the ominous controller shortage that everyone is worried about). He says that all that I need to do is complete and pass an aptitude test (which, apparently, he thinks I am capable of passing), and do the proper training and all that crap, and I am good to go.

Think I should go for it? I personally think I don't have what it takes, but it may be due to the same confidence issue I had when I applied for the job on the ramp. Just wanted y'all's (or however you type that) opinion. Am I seeing a good opportunity here? I always wanted to be the dude in the tower and think it would kick ass. It was just when he said that to me, it got me thinking, that's all. I have yet to do any serious investigation.

Any suggestions and/or advice welcome. Thanks!

I'm not sure exactly what he told you, but at present, the only way to be hired as an FAA controller is to attend one of the College training programs, or have some miliary ATC experience. No more aptitude test then pass go straight to OKC anymore.

And, btw, Maid Marion is cutting pay and per-diem at OKC, and thinking out loud about having applicants pay for their schooling at OKC. This, after they paid for the College training.

Well dude, the last I checked Vector4Fun is right on. I graduated with an ATC degree last year, and just now am hearing rumblings about getting my security packet to head to OKC. There are thousands of graduates from different schools with ATC degrees just waiting for the call. Hate to burst your bubble but I would think it's a long shot.

Could be good, but personally I think I'd be much happier flying, even though the stability of a flying job doesn't come close to that of a government job. But then again, very few jobs are as stable as government jobs.

-Goose

There are thousands of graduates from different schools with ATC degrees just waiting for the call. Hate to burst your bubble but I would think it's a long shot.

Heh, no worries. I was just thinking about it and stuff. The thing is, by the time the FAA is ready to call them, there may be thousands of 30-year-old bday parties that have passed since then. I just turned 26 and think I may be able to squeeze in nicely if I start training soon.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas about what the chances of not getting hired as an ATC after you complete one of the programs???

Latest resources

Back