Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thinking about a new career path in aviation...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

unreal

I haven't really been posting actively on this board lately, but I figured I'd come on back and get some thoughts on this whole thing.

I'm a CFI/CFII/MEI with a BS in Aeronautical Science. I expected to go be a pilot for some airline down the road, as did my family and friends (especially considering the ridiculous cost of my college education!). But with aviation being as it is lately, I'm thinking about going back to school and working the "other side." Air Traffic Control would be a pretty rewarding gig in my opinion, and the job security would be awesome with the FAA.

So, has anyone ever gone this route, even after becoming a professional pilot? I'm aware that I'd have to go through the ATC-CTI program through a college, but does anyone know how competitive it is to even be hired by the FAA after school?

I dunno...I'm probably not even asking the right questions. I just started thinking about this a couple days ago. If anyone has any insight on this career, any help is appreciated.

Been alot asked about this lately, do a search and you'll get some good info. I presume you saw that "Flying" magazine article.

There is a controller at the Santa Rosa airport that did both pilot training and controller training at ERU. He seems a little unhappy and talks about his former flying days a lot. I dont know him very well but I get the distinct impression that he would rather be flying again or he would want to be a approach controler at Atlanta INT or something because he gets bored working at a dinky little class D airport making a whole bunch of money.

I would caution that we all exersice some restraint when considering such a drastic career change. 5 years ago, who would have ever predicted United and Delta pilots would be taking a huge pay cut? They were the highest paid airline pilots in the world and poof.........nice paycut and pension problems.

Now, ATC privatization could be a real possibility down the line. It has, in fact, already begun. Look at the AFSS/Lockheed situation. Even though this is currently in litigation, I believe that the ball has begun to role.

IMHO, stick with what you know and are already good at. Build your hours, and try to have some FUN. The days of 6 figure pilot salaries are going to be harder to find and take longer to attain, but they are out there. Altitude is one thing, ATTITUDE is everything else. There are plenty of naysayers out there claiming gloom and doom, but things are generally not as bad as advertised.

FLY FLY FLY

Geronimo4497 said:
The days of 6 figure pilot salaries are going to be harder to find and take longer to attain, but they are out there.
What you talkin bout Willis? Last year I made 7 figures flying 135 freight in a Carvan, if you count the two places after the decimal point. :D

I feel your pain, my brotha.....You're getting 'command dough' flying single engine turbine equipment also?

I don't think I remember how to fly a twin anymore, oh well, soon enough......

Geronimo4497 said:
I feel your pain, my brotha.....You're getting 'command dough' flying single engine turbine equipment also?

I don't think I remember how to fly a twin anymore, oh well, soon enough......
Hahaha! Actually, the "Dough" I "Command" isn't green backs...it's that big freaking beer belly I'm working on...

Latest resources

Back