• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Think SkyBus is the only one to blame?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again, I dont mean to defend these guys, rather point out how bad this industry is.

A pilot that was an A319 captain at I-Air, can go to work at CAL and make $27,000 or go to Skybus and make $65,000. Which one is the whore?

Face it, this is the most screwed up industry, pay wise, and until there is a fix, there will always be these "low cost" startups taking advantage of the system.

(no I dont work there, and am not trying to work there)

Isn't FO starting pay $30,000 a year?

I believe you are correct, but I would expect upgrade times to be very fast especially since the fleet will be expanding significantly starting next year.

Virgin: $95/ hr Capt..... F/Os that upgrade to new captains go back to 1 yr. payscale. 5-day block for vacation. Whoopie!

To quote the great Thespian Beavis..."Funk Dat"

#2 (and probably most important) These pilots are getting in on the ground floor. Not too many times in your career can you say that...and if Skybus does get big, these guys are #1 seniority with the best schedules, pay, and clout at the company.

This is my thinking. All of you people calling these pilots "industry terrorists" get a grip. Some people are willing to risk more for the potential of more reward later. If you have the time you can go to Delta or Continental, and hope not to get furloughed from the bottom of a 4000 pilot seniority list. Or you could take your chances and go to Skybus and potentially be on the top of the next big thing. Fedex back in the days, when they were Federal Express, had times where pilots didn't get paid. How much did the first Southwest pilots make? These pilots are taking a risk. One of two things will happen, either in 10 years the rest of us are kicking ourselves or in 3 years they are looking for a new job. Either way, they are not "industry terrorists", they are pilots taking a chance on something new.

BTW, I am not a Skybus pilot nor do I intend to be. I am just sick of the ridiculous animosity against other pilots for nonsensical things.

Again, I dont mean to defend these guys, rather point out how bad this industry is.

"The industry" is affected by each of our decisions and actions. We all know what a group of pilos can achieve if unified. We also know what does happen when a group of pilots start thinking and acting as individuals.

There are many pilots out there acting like individuals... it's not good.

Look at the payscales of MaxJet and Virgin:

Maxipad: $90K/ yr captains.

Virgin: $95/ hr Capt..... F/Os that upgrade to new captains go back to 1 yr. payscale. 5-day block for vacation. Whoopie!

Both are applying for CASS. Good luck getting a jumpseat. Virgin guys, you're going to need the JS cause you'll never survive in the Bay Area on that kind of pay.

Great... nice job guys. Let's start publishing a list of these aviation-industry terrorists and watch while our careers get flushed down the toilet. Then at least we'll know who is to blame.

Who are these clowns that sign up to be away from home most of their lives for such abysmal pay? While I'll agree flying is a great career, it's not worth being away from your kids as they grow up unless offset by a minimum amount of pay... these rates certainly don't come anywhere close to the min amount.

Their families must really love them (NOT!).

While I agree that the pay at Skybus is ridiculous, I just want to make sure we all understand that when you flew ATRs and ERJs you did it for a wage that elevated the careers of all your fellow aviators...say $40-45K to start, right? Otherwise the word 'hypocricy' springs to mind.

While I agree that the pay at Skybus is ridiculous, I just want to make sure we all understand that when you flew ATRs and ERJs you did it for a wage that elevated the careers of all your fellow aviators...say $40-45K to start, right? Otherwise the word 'hypocricy' springs to mind.
chirp, chirp, chirp....

A pilot that was an A319 captain at I-Air, can go to work at CAL and make $27,000 or go to Skybus and make $65,000. Which one is the whore?

Face it, this is the most screwed up industry, pay wise, and until there is a fix, there will always be these "low cost" startups taking advantage of the system.

(no I dont work there, and am not trying to work there)

Gee.... Skybus or CAL. If a guys really think Skybus is the better option then I'm glad he goes there, we don't need pilots like that at CAL. First year pay at all majors sucks, and I agree we need to change this. But for now, it's part of the business to suck it up for that first year then reclaw your way up the seniority list and pay scales; which is why one needs to stay lean until he or she is on with a major.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back