• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JustaNumber

Calif. man gets prison for aiming laser at planes
(AP) – 17 hours ago
LOS ANGELES — A Southern California man who aimed a laser beam at two airliners as they approached an airport has been sentenced to 2 1/2 years in federal prison for disrupting the flights.
The U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles says Dana Christian Welch of Orange, who was sentenced Monday, was the first person in the nation to be convicted at trial of interfering with pilots by aiming lasers at their planes.
Authorities say the 37-year-old aimed a handheld laser at two Boeing jets as the passenger planes were about to land at John Wayne Airport on the night of May 21, 2008.
The laser beam struck one pilot in the eye, causing "flash blindness," and interfered with pilots' ability to land the other plane.

I'm surprised it was an adult.

Well, it's pretty safe to say laser issues are behind us. And Dana gets to take it up the poop-shute for a couple of years...all in all, a good trade.

(AP) – 17 hours ago
LOS ANGELES — A Southern California man who aimed a laser beam at two airliners as they approached an airport has been sentenced to 2 1/2 years in federal prison for disrupting the flights.
The U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles says Dana Christian Welch of Orange, who was sentenced Monday, was the first person in the nation to be convicted at trial of interfering with pilots by aiming lasers at their planes.
Authorities say the 37-year-old aimed a handheld laser at two Boeing jets as the passenger planes were about to land at John Wayne Airport on the night of May 21, 2008.
The laser beam struck one pilot in the eye, causing "flash blindness," and interfered with pilots' ability to land the other plane.

OK,..so now it makes sense what that green thingy is on your avatar pilot's face, right?? It's a flash-blinding laser beam??? (Always wondered):confused:

They got the guy who tagged my plane and several others in Cleveland in June 2008. He was dumb enough to tag the police helicopter who was looking for him as well.

(AP) – 17 hours ago

Sarcasm? I Hope you are not serious.

Why? I figured it would be kids screwing around too. Why would you assume it to be an adult?

Latest resources

Back