Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

There are people hired to come on these boards to influence.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Walmart OK?

ATR, So if the prices are lower because of lower costs, which may be due to unfavorable work rules, it is still ok to go for the lower price. Is that what you are saying? BTW don't forget you will also have to write close to a 650 on your GMAT to get into the good schools.

Last edited:
Morons

If you're going to say unions are nothing but bad news, then you'll have to say the same about the US government. The government is a collective formation of all us and our votes. Unions operate the same way so go ahead and bash, but you're just bashing yourself and all the other pilots on here. And yes unions (us) get greedy and that is a contradiction to unfortanute greed of management. Then they settle somewhere in the middle and some form of equalribium is maintained.

Oh and regards to Wal-Mart, I flew with someone who's wife has a white collar job in the office portion of a regional distribution center. The health insurance offered is such a joke that it was a brainer in using his. But hey, you saved 3 cents on a bottle of detergent.

Last edited:
Flip Conroy said:
Then it's like Pilotyip said. Step up to the plate and DO SOMETHING about it, or quit bitching. It's typical behaviour. Point out the perceived faults of others in an attempt to make yourself look better. At least to you. But when it's time to put up or shut up, most just cower away because they don't have the knowledge or ability to do anything except complain.

Well, Flip -- your response is unthinking. I exercise leadership in my chosen profession (piloting). I'm looking for business "leaders" to show some leadership skills, too.

Your response makes about as little sense as saying: You think politicians are all corrupt and indecisive? Quit complaining, and BE a politician. You think doctors don't spend enough time providing quality care to patients? Quit complaining and BE a doctor. You think teachers aren't doing a very good job teaching children these days? Quit complaining, and BE a teacher.

The issue is this: when a system produces bad results, what can we say about the system? There are flaws in our political system, flaws in our healthcare system, flaws in our education system -- flawed individuals in every system.

There are also committed, high-quality individuals in every system -- even corporate management. But I do believe the modern system of big business does not value, promote, or exemplify traditional American ethical values; that is to say, leadership and personal responsibility.

Professional pilots, by and large, value leadership abilities to a very high degree; I think it's reasonable to question why so few of our corporate poobahs share our values. I think it's imperative that we question the system that produces amoral, greedy robber barons instead of captains of industry.

In my profession, I am held to high standards. What standards are CEOs held to? It is those standards I complain about. Telling me I should become a corporate CEO and change things is just plain stupid.

"You don't like how the President does things? Well, go BE the President." No -- that's not possible. I'm a pilot, not a politician or a politician's son. But I can exercise my right to complain, and to vote.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
ATR, So if the prices are lower because of lower costs, which may be due to unfavorable work rules, it is still ok to go for the lower price. Is that what you are saying? BTW don't forget you will also have to write close to a 650 on your GMAT to get into the good schools.

I do not agree with Wal-mart's labor policy. Or Target's either for that matter, as they do the samae thing as Wal-mart regarding labor. Do I shop at Wal-Mart? Yes, occasionally. And yes, the reason I go there when I do is price. Is that right? No, probably not. But that is what corporate management is getting to.

There are "good" and "bad" ways to increase the value of a company, and IMO crapping on labor isn't the way to do it. I don't believe that most people should have to have 2 or 3 jobs to get by. Many companies today, however, do exactly that. And the managers don't care because their shareholder value is where it needs to be, and they are getting their money, after all. Why take care of the employees if you don't have to? Maybe because it's the right thing to do.

Sedona16 said:
I asked some of these questions earlier but ill ask again. These are sincere questions so try not to be flip.

If every airline pilot in the industry were to abandon unions tomorrow (we'll assume they could do this overnight) what do you think would happen to work rules, pay, etc?

Do you think the majority of managers would be fair enough to keep this profession as a pilot worth having?

If the only governing balance came from supply and demand what would stop managers from turning this into an industry of 22 year olds who were happy to make 1000 a month?

How did all the work rules that even non union airlines (i.e. Skywest) enjoy now come into being?

What about safety....could airline managers be trusted to not put the almighty dollar ahead of some questionable work rules?

How much profit would it take before there was enough put away for a rainy day that managers could share more with the employees? At SkyWest corporate is making more money than they ever have in the entire history of the airline. Some people are getting rich. They are buying other airlines and planes for hundreds of millions of dollars, prepaying on engine overhauls years in advance to eliminate profit sharing money, etc but the most they say they can afford is 1.2 percent pay to the pilots....take it or leave it. In the past four years the work rules and things that used to make Skywest really something special have been raped and pillaged. Make no mistake as long as the managers can (and they can because there is nothing stopping them) they will continue to chip away at work rules and pay. Leadership is dead....it’s only about money in the top pockets and the shareholders. Do you disagree with this? PLEASE tell me where I am wrong. Please answer these questions with something that is even slightly believable?!

Its quite simple really if unions were abandoned overnight I do believe mistakes would be learned from. Management would know that if they don't keep it together a union would be brought back in. Being a non union airline provides much more flexibility. You don't have to ask the union everytime you want to go pee pee. If work rules and pay just started getting slashed to the bone there would be a mass exodus and unions would be back. Answer me this though why is it so hard to get rid of a union? Why is it so easy to get one on the property yet so hard to get one off? There is not even a set way per the RLA to get rid of a union. Thats pretty cowardly if you ask me.

I do admit unions certainly have contributed to where we are today. The problem is like an old general they simply refuse to change their ways. They try the same strategy over and over leading people right into the unemployment line. Its clear that the picketing, making slogans, and even the strike threat doesn't work. If an employee group goes on strike the company simply liquidates, takes their parachute and the flying goes to someone else who does it for less anyway. Thats assuming you even get permission to strike. As long as there is a glut of flying we will all have this problem. Why hasn't the union come up with new solutions. They have absolutely no new plan that I have seen. They say its not fair over and over but why do they not offer any solutions? Example at ASA flying is being transfered to skywest and all that is being said is thats not right, etc. etc. The union has yet to offer any new solutions. They are trying the same tactics over and over. So far its not working. Does anyone even care when someone pickets? I argue they do not. You see so many people picketing anymore no one even cares what the message is. The shareholders don't care anymore either they know its just more union drama. So thats my question what is our unions plan for the future? I have yet to see one person even try to come up with a new solution.

There are a lot of 22 year olds out there however the main reason they do the 1000/month is they think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If there is no light at the end of the tunnel I guarantee not nearly as many would be doing it. Doctors do just fine without a union. The problem is doctors simply won't work for less than xxx amount of money and they are in high demand.. Pilots are not in high demand, there are simply too many of us out there A union keeps wages artificially high when the market really simply can't bear it.

I do also believe managers would be forced to make this a better job. If enough people just won't do it then they have to do something to lure people in. It all starts with self respect. Personally I don't see why we need a union for that. If enough people won't do the job unless treated fairly then it will happen. The problem is unions have everyone all worried that without them their career is doomed from the beginning.

Not the answer for every evil

Just add a little fuel to the fire, what about the UAW auto builders vs the non-union auto builders? Nearly the same pay at both places, but much higher productivity at the non-union places. What keeps the the wages high at the non-union places? Probably the threat of a union coming on site. So what is to say that a non-union airline would not strive to keep the union out by providing wages and benfits that are close to industry standards. As a former union member at 2 defunct airlines, unions can not make a bad place good or profitable, they can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Last edited:
SuperKooter said:
Not everyone who isn't dirnking the union koolaid is managment. Some people just have a realistic view of what is going to happen.

Ahhh. Here's the solution to listening to this poser flamebaiter.

This message is hidden because SuperKooter is on your ignore list.</SPAN>

D'Angelo said:
Its quite simple really if unions were abandoned overnight I do believe mistakes would be learned from. Management would know that if they don't keep it together a union would be brought back in. Being a non union airline provides much more flexibility. You don't have to ask the union everytime you want to go pee pee. If work rules and pay just started getting slashed to the bone there would be a mass exodus and unions would be back. Answer me this though why is it so hard to get rid of a union? Why is it so easy to get one on the property yet so hard to get one off? There is not even a set way per the RLA to get rid of a union. Thats pretty cowardly if you ask me.

I do admit unions certainly have contributed to where we are today. The problem is like an old general they simply refuse to change their ways. They try the same strategy over and over leading people right into the unemployment line. Its clear that the picketing, making slogans, and even the strike threat doesn't work. If an employee group goes on strike the company simply liquidates, takes their parachute and the flying goes to someone else who does it for less anyway. Thats assuming you even get permission to strike. As long as there is a glut of flying we will all have this problem. Why hasn't the union come up with new solutions. They have absolutely no new plan that I have seen. They say its not fair over and over but why do they not offer any solutions? Example at ASA flying is being transfered to skywest and all that is being said is thats not right, etc. etc. The union has yet to offer any new solutions. They are trying the same tactics over and over. So far its not working. Does anyone even care when someone pickets? I argue they do not. You see so many people picketing anymore no one even cares what the message is. The shareholders don't care anymore either they know its just more union drama. So thats my question what is our unions plan for the future? I have yet to see one person even try to come up with a new solution.

There are a lot of 22 year olds out there however the main reason they do the 1000/month is they think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If there is no light at the end of the tunnel I guarantee not nearly as many would be doing it. Doctors do just fine without a union. The problem is doctors simply won't work for less than xxx amount of money and they are in high demand.. Pilots are not in high demand, there are simply too many of us out there A union keeps wages artificially high when the market really simply can't bear it.

I do also believe managers would be forced to make this a better job. If enough people just won't do it then they have to do something to lure people in. It all starts with self respect. Personally I don't see why we need a union for that. If enough people won't do the job unless treated fairly then it will happen. The problem is unions have everyone all worried that without them their career is doomed from the beginning.

I wouldn't be so sure about doctors not needing a union. The health care situation is on the downturn with for profit HMOs running rampant and the doctor profession has lost some luster. Why do the SWA pilots have a union when their employer is considered tops in treating employees well? I also like your whole theory that companies will treat their employees well because of the threat of unionization. So you hate unions, but recognize that they create a good threat to management in achieving good work conditions. Nice chicken and egg, what came first, scenario.

Fly2Scuba said:
I wouldn't be so sure about doctors not needing a union. The health care situation is on the downturn with for profit HMOs running rampant and the doctor profession has lost some luster. Why do the SWA pilots have a union when their employer is considered tops in treating employees well? I also like your whole theory that companies will treat their employees well because of the threat of unionization. So you hate unions, but recognize that they create a good threat to management in achieving good work conditions. Nice chicken and egg, what came first, scenario.

The bad management came first of course, the unions came along next. The threat of unionization is a good tool in keeping companies in line. Now the problem is unions arent changing their ways. They refuse to acknowledge the old picketing/strike system etc isn't working anymore. Heres one secret, Southwests union is an in hosue union. Thats why they are so successful. Its run by the employees from the ground up. ALPA is a big policitcal machine strictly in it for the money. ALPA is there to create tension, Southwest is respresented strictly by the employees. Thats why we need more in house groups and less national archaic unions that refuse to adapt. No union is still better but at least with an in house one you have a chance at better relations with management. Also the problem is every profession loses its luster at some point. The more people that want to do it the more it drives the wages down.

pilotyip said:
Just add a little fuel to the fire, what about the UAW auto builders vs the non-union auto builders? Nearly the same pay at both places, but much higher productivity at the non-union places. What keeps the the wages high at the non-union places? Probably the threat of a union coming on site. So what is to say that a non-union airline would not strive to keep the union out by providing wages and benfits that are close to industry standards. As a former union member at 2 defunct airlines, unions can not make a bad place good or profitable, they can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

You're absolutely right, yip! Non-union employers have to at least come close to matching union shops, otherwise the employees will bring a union on the property. However, if Duh'Angelo's wet-dream became a reality and unions ceased to exist, then what would happen? No more threat of a union, so management would revert to their true greedy nature and slash wages, benefits, and working conditions. You have to have at least the threat of a union or the entire profession collapses. The only exception might be SWA where it seems that management actually understands that high employee morale actually contributes to the bottom line. I've seen no evidence that any other airline management team understands this basic principal.

Latest resources

Back