• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Walmartization of SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not necessarily. The article did not discount the possibility of a union. It simply said that the airline might not permit a union contract that is MORE lucritive than what the non-union employees currently earn.

That - in its essence - is the argument which prevents unionization at companies like Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, Home Depot, etc.

When 1300 people show up for a store-opening where 300 people need to be hired, where is the bargaining power?

The simple act of unionization does not guarantee that the resulting contract will be better than what existed before.

(look at the ALPA contracts at UAL, US Airways, etc...)

Assets can be moved between subsidiaries extremely easily. I sincerely doubt that ASA has fragmentation language in their contract. If the ASA pilots dont want to play ball ... piece of cake. There are 10,000 flight instructors who are jumping at the chance to do the same job for a fraction of the pay/benefits. Simply transfer the fleet slowly to the "Skywest" side over time and hire replacements.

This is very much the same way that narrowbody "assets" have been reallocated to so-called "regionals" over the last 15 years and, as a result, decimated union contracts at the majors.

Its the law of natural selection. The cheapest animal wins. ;)

During the ASA acquisition conference Jerry already has said publicly that ASA has a lower CASM than SkyWest Airlines.

Union or not they...we...us...ASA has a lower CASM.

So the mighty ALPA pilots at Northwest are RIGHT NOW crossing the mechanics picket line, and you guys are worried about what non-union Skywest MIGHT do?

Give me a break!

SSDD said:
So the mighty ALPA pilots at Northwest are RIGHT NOW crossing the mechanics picket line, and you guys are worried about what non-union Skywest MIGHT do?

Give me a break!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but NWA ALPA tried to get the mechanics union to go along with them when they were negotiating a concessionary contract. NWA AMFA basically told NWA ALPA to go F themselves. NWA ALPA realized the desperate position their company was in and were proactive in negotiating a new settlement. NWA ALPA also wants to protect as many jobs as possible. I think they realize that if the pilots honored the picket line and the company shut down that it would have a detrimental effect on Northwest, possibly forcing them into either selling some assets or filing Chapter 7.

It suck$ right now for unions. Either take it in the a$$ or take it in the a$$ and lose your job. Your choice.

GP

BenderGonzales said:
Not necessarily. The article did not discount the possibility of a union. It simply said that the airline might not permit a union contract that is MORE lucritive than what the non-union employees currently earn.

Unfortunatley, in order to avoid a strike they may have to to offer such an increase in compensation. The only way a company can have such negotiating leverage is when they have the ability to replace those workers. Pilots are not easily replaceable.

I sincerely doubt that ASA has fragmentation language in their contract. If the ASA pilots dont want to play ball ... piece of cake. There are 10,000 flight instructors who are jumping at the chance to do the same job for a fraction of the pay/benefits. Simply transfer the fleet slowly to the "Skywest" side over time and hire replacements.

E. Merger Protection

1. If the Company acquires a carrier whose pilots are represented by the Association, the pilots of the Company and the pilots of the acquired carrier will each operate pursuant to their collective bargaining agreement or terms and conditions of employment with their respective seniority lists until the first day of the first month following:

a. conclusion of negotiation of only such provision(s), if any, as may be necessary to cover such acquired carriers’ flying under this Agreement, and

b. integration of the seniority lists of the respective pilot groups. Such seniority integration shall be governed by the Association’s Merger Policies. There will be no “system flush” as a result of seniority integration.

2. If the Company acquires a carrier whose pilots are not represented by the Association, the pilots of the Company and the pilots of the acquired carrier will each operate pursuant to their own collective bargaining agreement or terms and conditions of employment, with their respective seniority lists until the first day of the first month following:

a. conclusion of negotiation of only such provision(s), if any, as may be necessary to cover such acquired carrier’s flying under this Agreement, and

b. integration of the seniority lists of the respective pilot groups. Such seniority integration will be accomplished in a fair and equitable manner, including, where applicable, negotiations between the Company and the representatives of the pilot groups affected. There will be no “system flush” as a result of seniority integration. In the event of failure to reach a negotiated resolution, the seniority integration dispute will be resolved as provided in Sections 3 and 13 of the Labor Protective Provisions specified by the Civil Aeronautics Board in the Allegheny-Mohawk Merger.

3. Upon the announcement of any transaction that is intended to result in the consolidation of the Company with another carrier that affects the seniority rights of pilots on the Seniority List, the parties will meet promptly to discuss the appropriate steps to be taken consistent with this Agreement, e.g., to negotiate an appropriate fence agreement and to implement a seniority integration process as provided for in paragraph E.1. or E.2., above.

4. During the period between the announcement of any transaction described in paragraph E. and the conclusion of the process as provided therein, no pilot who was on the Seniority List and who had completed his probationary period as of the effective date of this Agreement will be furloughed as a result of such transaction.

SouthTex said:
I apologize, are... before the English Majors show up.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dointime,
I hate to break it to you, but contracts don't mean crap these days when the crap hits the fan. Management just blackmails everyone and gets what they want.

SouthTex said:
I apologize, are... before the English Majors show up.
OK, the pseudo English Major is here. You were right the first time when you wrote "...that Nw is going to replace." Within this adjective phrase, "Northwest" is the the subject and "is (going to replace)" is the verb. I believe you mistakenly thought that the plural "mechanics" required the use of the third person plural "are", but it does not.

We now return to our regular programming.

Andy,
Are you doing this from class? If so get back to work...
BAAAHAAA
PBR

Oops...it appears that my use of the queen's english in the middle of a heated drinking binge is about as well constructed as my $hit the next day.

Touche Andy.

Latest resources

Back