• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rottweiller

Virgin pilot removed from Washington-London flight
Fri December 19, 2003 11:50 PM ET

WASHINGTON, Dec 19 (Reuters) - The captain of a Virgin Atlantic (VA.UL: Quote, Profile, Research) airliner about to fly from Washington to London was removed from the plane after he was suspected of being drunk, officials said on Friday.
Police at Washington's Dulles Airport were still investigating the incident involving a Boeing (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) 747-400 jet, which was scheduled to carry 383 passengers.

"We haven't charged him with anything at this point," said Tara Hamilton, a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority.

However, Virgin Atlantic canceled its Flight 22 to Heathrow, London's main airport, and rescheduled it for Saturday evening, an airline spokesman said.

"The pilot has been suspended with immediate effect and will face an internal inquiry," the spokesman said.

Virgin has put up the passengers at area hotels and promised them a free future flight, he said.

An airport transportation security screener alerted police that pilot might be drunk.

After an interview on the plane, the pilot was removed before any of the passengers had boarded, Hamilton said.

These Guys are not furkin cops.

Since when has a 6 dollar an hour worker who is now paid 12 dollars an hour to screen bags qualified to detect if an individual is intoxicated.
These guys cant even do their own jobs properly, the Medal of Honor is an instrument of terror you know!!!!!!!!
What they have effectivley done is firk a guys career now whether he was drunk or not.
It is also against the FAR's to allow a passenger onto an aircraft intoxicated, so how many of these TSA jokes are going to stop every passenger who has a whiff of mouthwash or alchohol on their breath.
This country is no more secure in the baggage screening area now than it was three years ago. I routinely watch people go through security with watches on, keys in their pockets etc, but hey they can yank a captain from a flight on suspicion of being intoxicated. WTF is this world coming to!
I think that from now on I'm going to go through security in civvies, like I am non revving and get changed into my uniform on the other side, no im not going to go to work inebriated but if some puke wants to firk with you they are going to anyway, smelly breath or not.
Thanx for listening to my rant. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Mung.

Last edited:
Isnt this like the second time thats happened to Virgin?? And didnt they not to long ago have a pilot who when the TSA searched his shoes (they beeped I might add) he loudly proclaimed he had a bomb in his shoes?? Where the heck do they get their pilots??? A combined AA and NRA meeting??

The solution is simple: Every time you go through security ask for the manager on duty (don't be to surprised if the manager knows even less than the person you asked). Request the phone number and name of their supervisor. Compile a list for each airport you go to. In any and every instance where you witness even the slightest infraction or lack of professional courtesy and respect, get the agents name and notify the manager on duty immediately! Take the managers name as well and let them know a phone call and written report will be expeditiously made to their superior!

You'd be surprised how much one person can affect the whole system. I have personally made major strides in improving the system at major airports across the U.S. It is so easy to do, takes very little time and leaves you feeling satisfied knowing you have alot of power over these morons from the top down.
In a number of airports, they know who I am. When I come through security they treat me with the highest level of respect and courtesy I deserve and demand as an aviation professional.
They get equitable courtesy in return, but understand I will turn them on their head if they slack for even a second.

Nothing like taking yourself to seriously... Talk about nerds... Can I copy this into the dorky pilot thread?? Get a life. They're people too. Okay, so sometimes they arent the most professional. The fact of the matter is, they all have some sort of sercurity background, and they do know what they are doing. To call their manager and get them fired for something is a little on the rediculous side.

My personal favorite part of your whole posting was this part:

I have personally made major strides in improving the system at major airports across the U.S.

dude get over yourself. I bet your one of those pilots who wears there whole uniform in the grocery store. You know the looks your getting are pitty looks... People dont care your a pilot, its not as cool as it used to be.

I don't see this as an option, rather our responsibility as professional pilots to ourselves, our customers and our country!

It should be part of our responsibility as professional pilots to act like grown ups and not like 13 year old girls and stamp our feet and cry like a baby when someone is rude to you.
"Mommy, today at the airport someone told me I had to take off my shoes!!!! It's not fair!! Dont they know who I am!"

I'm all for bashing the TSA. We'll look kind of stupid (on this thread only) if the guy was actually drunk. What's the latest?

The great thing about the TSA is that they cant find box cutters on people but they can decide how drunk a crew member is.

Latest resources

Back