• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The true ASA vs SKW pay checks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What? We have it better than you? But, you have ALPA!

Jon Rivoli said:
What? We have it better than you? But, you have ALPA!

Has nothing to do with ALPA. Its corperate culture. Your company believes in treating the employees well and they will be more productive, hence helping the bottom line (which is correct)
Our company believes that employees are there to just get their jobs done no matter what. So ALPA afforeds us a GREAT amount of protection from unfair practices. Don't cry foul of ALPA until you sit a day in ASA pilots shoes and see why we feel we need a union.

Last edited:
I think a good indepth comparison would be good for both sides. One other factor for a month of comparison would be actual hours flown to paid hours, TAFB, days off p/month.

Another good comparison would be if there are any ASA Captains with roughly the same senority that are on the RJ50 compared to the RJ70.

I don't want to turn this into a regional FO pay argument/ debate, but;

To be honest, for 2nd and 3rd year FO's, which most of you seem to be, taking home $35-$45K is not that bad, especially if you are single. Most career fields do not pay much more than that to those just starting out. Considering the specialized training that pilots go through, I'd say regional FO salaries could be better, especially first year, but after your first year, its not that bad, especially, again, for a single guy. Right now upgrades are running 4-5 years, but if you can hack the 4-5 years FO pay, which definately seems liveable, I'd say captain pay is more than liveable, according to IFLYASA's salary.

Take home pay dose not mean anything. Every one has different deductions. What you made before all deductions is the only way to see how we compare.

From Jon Rivoli.

"What? We have it better than you? But, you have ALPA!"

And the airline you spent a bundle on a type to try and get hired is non union? Yeah, I know SWAPA.

Relief lines...SW

I took a relief line for Nov. My requests to CS were:

1-Sundays off
2-Thanksgiving off, or at least release by early afternoon
3-No 4 day trips

I got all Sundays off, I work a 3 day trip with Thanksgiving the 2nd day, and only one 4 day trip (with first day starting at 8:30 PM)
So, I got most of my wishes. 13 scheduled days off, 88 hours of credit. There were 4 relief lines for Nov. instead of the usual 2, and I got the 3rd one, so two people senior to me got the first two. I've been told that they try to satisfy your request based on seniority, so maybe those 2 senior to me got Thanksgiving off (?).

PilotOnTheRise said:
I don't want to turn this into a regional FO pay argument/ debate, but;

To be honest, for 2nd and 3rd year FO's, which most of you seem to be, taking home $35-$45K is not that bad, especially if you are single. Most career fields do not pay much more than that to those just starting out. Considering the specialized training that pilots go through, I'd say regional FO salaries could be better, especially first year, but after your first year, its not that bad, especially, again, for a single guy. Right now upgrades are running 4-5 years, but if you can hack the 4-5 years FO pay, which definately seems liveable, I'd say captain pay is more than liveable, according to IFLYASA's salary.

As a side note.....I just found out that a Chicago cop hubby of a girl I know makes around $40K/year. Now that is pathetic.

Latest resources

Back