The true ASA vs SKW pay checks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
capt. megadeth said:
As a side note.....I just found out that a Chicago cop hubby of a girl I know makes around $40K/year. Now that is pathetic.

Pathetic that the cop makes $40K/year, or that 2nd and 3rd year FO's make that? Or both?

For someone who has been with the majors, and has been furloughed and is back as an FO at a regional, now in his 2nd to 3rd year, I can understand the complaint of making $35-$45K/ year. Most of those guys had salaries well above that, and have a family to support. Obviously for them, $40K/ year will not quite hack it.

BUT..

For people like myself, and others on this board, in their early to mid 20's, who are just starting out, $35-$45K/ year for a 2nd or 3rd year FO is really not bad at all. Captain pay is certainly not that bad. Could it be better? Yes. But I'm sure everyone wishes their salary was more. Most career fields don't start out making much more than $40K/ year, but atleast pilots have the potential to make more. I know people in career fields who are 55+, have worked their whole life, and just making, or not even making the $78K/ year that a 6 year ASA captain, such as IFLYASA is making, and $78K is not topped out either, meaning he will continue to make more.

With the airline industry the way it is now, its hard to have a positive outlook, but like times past, I believe things will improve. So for those of us who can, I say hang in there. Better days are to come. You have to think that sooner or later the majors, if they can make it through bankruptcy, will have to start hiring again.

PilotOnTheRise said:
I know people in career fields who are 55+, have worked their whole life, and just making, or not even making the $78K/ year that a 6 year ASA captain, such as IFLYASA is making, and $78K is not topped out either, meaning he will continue to make more.

How much more will he/she make when you factor in inflation? My 100k I make 10 years from know will still only buy what my 78k will puurchase this year.

I understand what you are saying, but salaries are not necessarily increasing for other career fields any more than they are for pilots. In other words, 10 years from now when you are making $100K, the guy in the other job, or whoever is in his place, might still be making $78K.

Plus, 10 years from now, assuming things improve with the airlines, which I think will happen (fingers crossed), you may have moved on to the majors, such as SW, UPS, FedEx, etc., and making over $100K. If you are a captain, which your profile says, that could easily be the case.

Brasilia captain - 5 year pay - YTD - $58,987.85 averaged over 10 months = $64,886.635 for the year.

Lets remember that he said that $78k was not normal. He averaged 105 hrs per month. NOT NORMAL.
As for those who think that $40k per year is a great income... Try the education that is involved in that. There are a LOT of people who spend upwards of $100k to get where they are, thinking that in... say... 10 years be able to be making more than enough to pay these debts off. (like a Dr. or lawyer) Not the case anymore. These loans take a HUGE chuck of your pay check each month. On top of these loans are mortgage/rent, insurance, phone, internet, cars, food, gas, power, sewer, water, and any other "little" things that come up. Add to that the 401k, taxes, medical, insurance, (in ASAs case ALPA). Your check isn't as big as you think.

OCP said:
Has nothing to do with ALPA. Its corperate culture. Your company believes in treating the employees well and they will be more productive, hence helping the bottom line (which is correct)
Our company believes that employees are there to just get their jobs done no matter what. So ALPA afforeds us a GREAT amount of protection from unfair practices. Don't cry foul of ALPA until you sit a day in ASA pilots shoes and see why we feel we need a untion.

Excellent post. You are spot on.

-Neal

I'm a seven year 50 seater at ASA.

Last year I grossed 78,000 flying the ATR including perdiem. I average 12 days off.

This year (2005) will be less due to 2 months in RJ training. (My poo no longer stinks)

Next year (2006) should be back up to about 78,000 with an average of 14-16 days off, due to the more productive RJ schedules.

I am taking donations for my retirement fund....now somebody get out a ruler so we can play whhhoooose is bigger!!!

Latest resources

Back