Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Does this just mean a company does not want to pay alot for a pilot?

not at all. alot of people laughed on here about a job that was a challenger 300 position a year ago cause the guy called it "entry level recommened with around 2000TT". I agree with most people on this board that its sort of insulting calling somebody w/ 2000TT entry level. everybody on here made fun of it saying it was probably around 10K per year with tons of side duties washing planes, etc. BUT it was in my hometown so i figured what the hell and sent in a resume. TURNS out, all the jokers on here that were dogging it were actually turning down a part 91 gig with a very well known billionare starting at 85K/year. I didn't get the job or the interview, but it was a lesson to me. I wouldn't limit myself for any job post now, you never know what it will turn out to be. And alot of times the HR dept or some non aviation person is writing the ad and don't know better. But really, go to walmart, buy a 20 dollar fax machine, and whats it hurt sending in a resume, it takes only a few seconds.

not at all. alot of people laughed on here about a job that was a challenger 300 position a year ago cause the guy called it "entry level recommened with around 2000TT". I agree with most people on this board that its sort of insulting calling somebody w/ 2000TT entry level. everybody on here made fun of it saying it was probably around 10K per year with tons of side duties washing planes, etc. BUT it was in my hometown so i figured what the hell and sent in a resume. TURNS out, all the jokers on here that were dogging it were actually turning down a part 91 gig with a very well known billionare starting at 85K/year. I didn't get the job or the interview, but it was a lesson to me. I wouldn't limit myself for any job post now, you never know what it will turn out to be. And alot of times the HR dept or some non aviation person is writing the ad and don't know better. But really, go to walmart, buy a 20 dollar fax machine, and whats it hurt sending in a resume, it takes only a few seconds.
That's good to hear of a case where it is a good paying job.

it means there will be others in higher paying positions with more accountability that could be doing similar work. it is also saying something about expectations of the employer and the employee. many times there can be adjustments for the right person. i wouldn't discount a job solely on that phrase.

It means they are looking for a cleaning boy with a few ratings that will fly for catering scraps. :) jk.

I would guess these are not usually the best jobs. However, they may provide you with good experience and networking opportunities that can lead to something better. I guess it depends on where you are coming from.

I would guess these are not usually the best jobs. However, they may provide you with good experience and networking opportunities that can lead to something better. I guess it depends on where you are coming from.
I agree with you. I've done my share of hiring over the years and what I personally look for in a candidate is whether or not s/he has been "around the block" a time or two. After all, most guys come to the party with an ATP and you would think that at that point, most guys would know how to fly an airplane and shoot an approach. If they can't, it becomes painfully obvious in very short order.

What I like to see is experience. The problem is that once a guy has 2 or 3 thousand hours in his logbook he thinks that he's ready to take on the world. Maybe yes, maybe no - there's a huge difference between 3000 hours of experience and 1 hour of experience repeated 3000 times.

Entry level jobs are just that - probably not career positions, but something that will get you a solid foundation that you can use to build upon. Depending upon your background and experience level when you break into the corporate ranks it may be a very desirable step for some guys.

LS

Also, many entry level (pilot) jobs are not direct entry captain positions. If I took a job as an FO for a company with the intention of upgrading to CA in the future, I would consider it an entry level position.

Entry level means, "don't expect to wear 4 stripes on your first trip with us."

Latest resources

Back