International Airport.
Operated with the popular 50-seat CRJ regional jets made by
Bombardier of Montreal, Quebec, AirTran JetConnect will initially
serve several cities from its Atlanta hub - Greensboro, N.C.,
Pensacola, Fla., and Savannah, Ga. - all of which are currently
served by AirTran Airways. In addition, AirTran JetConnect will
allow the airline to expand into other short-haul markets as well as
increase frequencies in underserved markets -- resulting in a
stronger catchment area for AirTran Airways' Atlanta hub.

"Developing a regional partner to feed AirTran Airways has been our
goal for some time, and we are pleased to introduce the AirTran
JetConnect service to extend our brand of low fares and quality
service," stated Robert L. Fornaro, AirTran Airways' president and
chief operating officer. "With the launch of AirTran JetConnect, we
will also be able to redeploy our Boeing 717s to increase
frequencies in longer haul, more profitable markets and facilitate
growth in larger markets we do not currently serve. In addition, we
look forward to our partnership with Air Wisconsin, a company
recognized throughout the industry for its high quality and
reliability."

At least I'll feel like I'm getting more value for my dollar.... Pay 200 for that RJ seat instead of 300 with Delta on an RJ...;)

Whew! So give us the dirt. I know very little about AirTran. How are they doing these days?

S.

SAY WHAT???

As far as I know, Air WIlly isn't codesharing with anyone else except UAL. Our mission statement says that we are solely committed to kissing United's butt. Of course we are always the last ones to here any new "Big Announcements". Are you sure your info is accurate? I thought Airtran was looking at Mesa.

"Are you sure your info is accurate? I thought Airtran was looking at Mesa."
------------------------------------------------------------------

The "info" was taken from the press. The press can be wrong and maybe they are in this case. I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if your MGMT is trying to reduce your exposure to United due to there recent struggles and pending B.K. Just a guess.

According to JO at Mesa, they are out of the running at Airtran.
-Bean

It's fact. The AirWis President/CEO announced it through an email and a Pilot Memo today.

S.

Last edited:
Good news for my favorite regional airline. Props to Airtran for not low-bidding it to Mesa, however I bet part of their decision is based on AirWis's more stable labor situation compared to Mesa and a potential pilot strike.

I wonder if the Airtran pilots will now have to start thinking about scope?? I bet the ASM for the RJ will almost double that of the 717, so what's Airtran's motivation for this? I figured they would announce 737/319 purchases first, they could really feed on cities like SAN, SFO, LAX, SEA, etc.

-Sean

Myself and all pilots I talked to today at AirTran seem to like the idea of a regional, which will allow the company to expand route structure with 717.

To answer the above question, AirTran pilot's contract signed last year has scope in it...thanks to some forward thinking of the union.

Here's just some of it....

"...arrangements with commuter or express carriers cannot include aircraft with a capacity greater than 70 passenger seats or a certificated gross weight of more than 100,000 lbs gross weight. All DC-9 series, B-737 series, and A-320 series aircraft are considered to have more than 70 seats regardless of their seating configuration...
a)The primary purpose for utilization of a commuter or express air carrier by the Company shall be to provide either passenger/cargo feed to the Company or to enhance the Company’s overall market presence.
b)Flying performed by all commuter or express carriers pursuant to the agreements contemplated by this paragraph 3 may not exceed more than 17.5% of the ASM’S operated by the Company except that if the Company has more than 60 aircraft on its Operations Specifications, such flying may not be exceed 18%. For more than 70 aircraft, the flying may not exceed 18.5%. For more than 80 aircraft, the flying may not exceed 19%. For more than 90 aircraft, the flying may not exceed 19.5%. For more than 100 aircraft, the flying may not exceed 20%...."

Last edited:
Jim said:
Scope?...here comes Surplus1 and the RJDC! :D

You're right, here comes Surplus1 but you've obviously missed the whole point and you don't get the message.

Air Wisconsin is subcontracting with Air Tran therefore, any Scope that Air Tran may have is totally appropriate. They really should have scope that bans the subcontracting all together and lets Air Tran pilots fly the RJs. Then the Company (AAI) could fly as many as it needs and do even better than it will.

Air Tran needed better Scope, not less.

Latest resources

Back