The regionals are sucking the life out of me! Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goose Egg said:
In any case, I don't hate 121, it wears on me sometimes, and I can't see myself doing this for more than 5 years, but sometimes it can be a blast (largely dependent on who you are flying with, as I've found out). But then again, I didn't spend all that time and money to become a 121 pilot either. It's just a stop on the way to something else.

Like what?

Personally, I enjoyed my RJ job very much and always wanted to fly for UPS or Delta but life and circumstance ended up making my time in 121 a means to a part 91 end...at least for a while.

There is no great panacea for job satisfaction or enjoyment in this career field, regardless of the segment one finds themselves in...it all depends on what each person makes of your current situation.

Like what?

Personally, I enjoyed my RJ job very much and always wanted to fly for UPS or Delta but life and circumstance ended up making my time in 121 a means to a part 91 end...at least for a while.

There is no great panacea for job satisfaction or enjoyment in this career field, regardless of the segment one finds themselves in...it all depends on what each person makes of your current situation.

Well, somewhat similar to yourself; a 121 means to a 91 end... or something like that--some of what I'd like to do in the future technically falls under part 135. Although in my case, I'd say it's been a good 10 years since I've had a burning desire for Delta or UPS or FedEx or Southwest or whomever else, and in their place, I've been thinking of a good 91 job (there are certainly bad ones to be had). I'm just trying to establish a good base of flight time which I can use to market myself to those jobs which I actually have been dreaming about. I'm even going to finish my accounting degree to give myself more of an edge. And I'm not saying that I don't enjoy my 121 job. I'm just saying that I don't consider it as having "arrived" like many others do.

And as far as the panacea comment goes, let me respond by saying that one man's junk is another man's treasure.

-Goose

Last edited:
Ironically enough, I and two people I worked with left a 91/managed/frac to come to a regional. Personally my life is considerably better and I see my family more than I have the last 4 years. The job wasn't the worst, but the schedule was killing me, kind of like the regional life is killing you.

Like the others have said, keep it all in perspective. Decide which aspect of the job is the most important to you-for me it was a schedule and shorter trips, for others it's different-and go in that direction. But, especially with the smaller operations out there, talk to as many people as you can to find out what the 'real' story is before making the jump.

Best of luck with the search.

Best of luck Goose; sounds like your preference is fractional???

Thanks, I appreciate that. RW EMS flying is my end goal. It will take a lot of work, and I'll probably be doing a number of different things between now and then, but I'm a young man. Say I'm qualified for it by the time I'm 40--that's still a pretty good stretch.

-Goose

Bird--Check your PM's. TC

Not all corporate jobs are as bad as BLZRs either though. Mine for example offers a set schedule of days off and fly days, firm duty/rest requirements, and only a handful of overnights per month. Most days i'm home by 6pm having dinner with the family.

I don't fly the biggest or most glamorous airplane in the corporate world but, you know what they say, "The bigger the airplane, the bigger the suitcase!"

Do I miss the RJ or the 737? Yes... I miss having an APU and a place to put my flightkit in the cockpit. Is that a good reason to go back? Not right now. Ask me a few years when old age makes it hard(er) to climb into a Learjet cockpit.

YES!!! Make the jump to the real side of flying! I did the same and I could not be happier! Corporate and/or Fractional is the way to go now. Believe me, the airline business is in chaos and will continue to be for quite some time. With Oil jumping to over $110/barrel and the Recession just starting, the airlines will be hardest hit. If you can get on at NetJets go, if you can find a good corp. gig like I did then take it and don't look back. Many other pilots before you have made the move and many more will do so after you. You need to care of #1 so you won't step into #2. Believe me when I say you will be much happier on the other side of life.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back