• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

The RAT

flyboyzz1

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Posts
719
Total Time
#
Just learned about the RAT as a backup for hyd systems. Anyone have any more info or pictures of one these?
 

viper548

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
2,090
Total Time
6800
It's basically a pinwheel looking thing that drops out into the slipstream and serves as a backup for hydraulics and/or electrics.
 

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
4,911
Total Time
+/-13k
Yeah, you typically test it by standing under the door while talking to someone in cockpit on the headset. You firmly hold the door closed while instructing the guy in the cockpit to lift the guard on the switch and push and hold the switch.












AND... As you are being driven into the concrete you scream--"That AA717driver is a real a$$hole!" :D TC

P.S.--Hopefully, you will go your entire career without ever having to use or inadvertantly deploying the RAT.
 

empenage

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
528
Total Time
8500
http://www.tpub.com/air/7-27.htm

We deploy ours as part of a yearly inspection. Once it's out, its out. And once it's out it's best to break out the David Clarks or Bose headsets because on the Challengers and Global it sounds like someone is running a Cox 049 engine in the cockpit.
 

empenage

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
528
Total Time
8500
AA717driver said:
Yeah, you typically test it by standing under the door while talking to someone in cockpit on the headset. You firmly hold the door closed while instructing the guy in the cockpit to lift the guard on the switch and push and hold the switch.












AND... As you are being driven into the concrete you scream--"That AA717driver is a real a$$hole!" :D TC

P.S.--Hopefully, you will go your entire career without ever having to use or inadvertantly deploying the RAT.

No kidding, its small but frick'en heavy.
 

flyboyzz1

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Posts
719
Total Time
#
empenage said:
http://www.tpub.com/air/7-27.htm

We deploy ours as part of a yearly inspection. Once it's out, its out. And once it's out it's best to break out the David Clarks or Bose headsets because on the Challengers and Global it sounds like someone is running a Cox 049 engine in the cockpit.

Cool link... thanks! I've heard that many aircraft use the APU instead of the RAT. Why then does the 767 have the RAT if it also has an APU?
 

dseagrav

Student Dork
Joined
May 30, 2004
Posts
357
Total Time
threve
flyboyzz1 said:
Cool link... thanks! I've heard that many aircraft use the APU instead of the RAT. Why then does the 767 have the RAT if it also has an APU?

They have both because the RAT works without fuel, and the APU doesn't, so you can use the RAT when you have no fuel. On the other hand, the APU works without airspeed, and the RAT doesn't. You can't use the RAT to start the airplane because the first officer can't turn it that fast.

(Two questions arise from this post... One, RAT-turning a job for the F/O or a flight attendant? Two, am I allowed to make jokes like this one even though I don't even have my PPL yet?)
 
Last edited:

empenage

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
528
Total Time
8500
flyboyzz1 said:
Cool link... thanks! I've heard that many aircraft use the APU instead of the RAT. Why then does the 767 have the RAT if it also has an APU?

Engineers are human and have different views like everyone else. A RAT is deployed in case of complete electrical/hydraulic loss in case of emergency, an APU is used for day to day electric and bleed air. Electric to give you light and bleed air to keep you all comfy cozy while your watching The Battle of Britain on the CD player in the back cabin while your waiting for your boss to show up. Once he shows up bleed air is used to start the engines(or electrics depending on the type of starter you have). At this point the APU is shut down untill you land. Then you would start it back up again when you land because soon you are going to turn the engines off and you dont want your boss tripping down the cabin in the dark and falling on the flight attendant.

The GIV has the ABEX (instead of a RAT)system which is a hydaulic pump that runs off the left engine...I hope thats right I havent been in a IV for 4 years.

So...

The RAT if for emergency

The APU gets you started every day.

I need a beer now.........
 
Last edited:

flyboyzz1

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Posts
719
Total Time
#
I didn't mean to use the apu to start the engines. Of course the apu is used for that. I read on a few internet sites that the apu can also be used to run the hyd pump. I don't know crap though.
 

empenage

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
528
Total Time
8500
flyboyzz1 said:
I didn't mean to use the apu to start the engines. Of course the apu is used for that. I read on a few internet sites that the apu can also be used to run the hyd pump. I don't know crap though.

Thats OK, I just re-read my post and cant believe you got any useful information out of it at all. :)
 
Top