The Pilot's Graveyard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joseph II

Those of you who are flying professionally, do you really enjoy flying as much as when you were working towards your private in a Cessna 152?

Those of you who don't fly now, did you loose your dream, did family or financial obligations kill that dream for you? Do you think about it every day? Do you mind "flying the desk"?

Those of you in the regionals, Was it really worth all of that sacrafice to get where you are today? Can you just not wait to get "the hell" out of those small airplanes so you can finally fly some big iron? Do you always grumbe about contracts and unions?

Those in the airlines, is it what you dreamed of? Do you guys also only grumbe about contracts and unions? How about your family, or did you loose them in a divorce? How do you feel about having a wife and kids at home *and* a girlfriend in a different state? Did you imagine you would end up that way? Did you actually pay off your flying loans (if you didn't take the millitary route)?

I'm 25, married no kids. I have my CFI with 0 hours dual given. I currently work at a desk job (which happens to be at Jeppesen a company that is allegedely known as the "Pilot Graveyard" because of so many Commercial/CFI pilots work for them who have all lost their dream for flying). My wife understandibly wants to "start a family" (me too) but I fear getting locked into my present job because of the committments of children/house/debt expenses.

Am I alone with this feeling of severe anxiety? As if I'm just inches away from being stuck doing something I don't want to do for the rest of my life. I also wonder why people who have dreamed of flying for a living end up bitching constantly how they want to "make it to the next bigger airplane" once a compnay actually gives them a paycheck to float around above terra firma.

So please, tell me what you think.

Trapped

Any decision you make will have consequences. If your family is your top priority, you will have to accept that as an airline pilot, you will probably not spend as much time with them as the dad next door. You are never stuck in a job unless you choose to be. It drives me crazy when I hear people whining about being "stuck" at their regional jobs. Take responsibility for your life. Whatever career you choose it'll cost you. Decide if the costs are worth the benefits for you. No one else can make these decisions for you.

I started at the regionals relatively late, at the age of 29. My wife is a saint and supported me by working full time. We put off having our first baby until I was close to upgrade (he was born during captain ground school!)

You can raise a family on a captain's salary, but f/o's are gonna need a working spouse, I'm afraid.

As far as enjoying it - a Fedex guy I know said it best: the regionals would be a blast if you knew precisely how long you were going to be there. The flying was great, the people fun, I even enjoyed taking care of passengers. I averaged about 800 hours a year, and sometimes flew 8 legs a day. It was a blast.

Now I fly cargo- long legs, back side of the clock, sometimes only 2 or 3 landings a month. But a hand-flown visual approach is still better than sex, and standin' em up at the beginning of the takeoff roll, pointing down 12,000 feet of runway and knowing you're gonna use most of it, is a thrill I can't adequately describe.

Most folks who have to fly end up flying. You just can't be happy doing anything else. Like Dr. Ruth says, "If it feels good, do it!"

Happiness is where you are, but at least in my case, its with ANY type of airplane in a flying capacity. Flying is the only thing I want to do and I've had non-aviation jobs to help me get to where I am help me 'spool up' this career.

CFI gigs and other initial aviation jobs will, in most cases, require two jobs to stay afloat. It can be discouraging at times and make for friction. Its also difficult when others don't comprehend all of the obstacles, and hoops we as pilots have to jump through to get where we want to go. Its a long hard road.

I've had a very patient girlfriend, she had gone back to school for a masters degree, but now is in a job, ready to marry and is talking about kids. I'm at the point where I can get flying jobs, but have to chase them and move around. Makes for difficult choices...

I know this, I NEED and WANT to fly. It's who I am.

Yes, flying professionally can be fun, but professionally you have to realistically look at it as a job and making a living for your family.

As in life, you can't want something too much, or it will consume you. Take the stars out of your eyes and make a plan for your flying career and family. Starting out civilian is really tough. If you're married, you'd better have a spouse that can help support the family for quite a while. Flying is a harsh mistress.

Last edited:
Speaking only for myself as a furloughed pilot, I miss flying professionally more than you can imagine. My job right now is at a desk, and I can't imagine doing this for the rest of my life. I am so ready to get back to flying, that I can barely stand it! I know alot of fellow furloughees who are in the same boat. Even though I'm temporarily not flying, I know that all the sacrifices I have made to get here will be worth it. In fact, those of us hired in the past 2 or 3 years have really had it easy compared to the guys before us in the early 90s, who were hardpressed to find a cfi job, instructed for 2000 hours or so, then prayed for a 135 job. good luck!

As far as the "time with the wife and kids" thing goes.......I have to disagree with Bluto. Your average 9 - 5 dad sees the family maybe a half hour in the morning before heading to the office, then maybe an hour or two of QUALITY time before hitting the sack, and weekends. I on the other hand (being mid-seniority) usually have 3 - 4 days off during the week where I have all day with them.

About your question of the airlines being all that I dreamed it would be.....yes and no. It does get routine like any other job and isn't the glorified lifestyle most people who have no experience in the industry think it is. Long hours, short overnights, fast food on the run. And yes, pilots do complain about mngmt, the contract, growth, pay, the list goes on and on but thats something that won't change so you just don't let it get to you. Then there are the times when its everything you thought it would be. Flying an approach in a blinding snowstorm down to minimums knowing you have the equipment to do it safely, watching the sunrise from above an overcast, and the look of admiration and wonder in a little kids face as you pass them by in full uniform is priceless.

I think that feeling of anxiety you have about being stuck in your current position is because flying is in your blood. Its just not something you can explain to somebody who does'nt have it. You know you won't be truly happy doing anything else, so like somebody else said......just fly. When you fulfill your own needs, you'll be a better husband, a better dad, and a better person all around.
GOOD LUCK AND FLY SAFE!!:cool:

Saabslime is very wise. I agree with everything said.

When I am faced with decisions affecting my career and family, I take the view of me lying in my death bed (yeah I know, a little morbid, but bear with me here) reminiscing back through my life, and hearing what regrets I would have about my life. No one ever says, "I wish I had done more work at the office". Following one's dream and not spending enough time with loved ones are always at the top of a dying person's regret list.

Latest resources

Back