Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The pilot shortage is already here. Airlines cut flights.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a big play stirring. I think the bosses are going to try and push for the rollback some of the changes to the FAR's. Or, gasp, have the government ease cabotage or visas for foreign workers. Or who knows what...

There is a big play stirring. I think the bosses are going to try and push for the rollback some of the changes to the FAR's. Or, gasp, have the government ease cabotage or visas for foreign workers. Or who knows what...

The families of the Colgan crash victims will continually show up. They were relentless in pushing for this change, and no Congressman or woman will stand up to them. It would be political suicide.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I said "try". Grieving families may talk, but Big Money walks. The law would not have prevented that crash, nor will it prevent new crashes. It is all an illusion to placate some irritating noise. What it will do is force management to hire washed up losers with 5000 hours (15 years ago) over a kid who actually wants to try to do a good job.

Says the kid who "wants to do a good job". I'm sure the "5000 washup" also wants to do a good job. If you are the person you sound like, then get in line and cut your teeth like the rest.

box

I'm already at a legacy, thanks for assuming. I also had the pleasure of flying with many more "good" 250 hour wonderkids than "bad" as a captain at a regional. It's not the number of hours but the quality, right? That and all the other useful stuff "some" of the college programs teach. I'm also pretty sure that line to sit reserve at regional is pretty short these days, and many of us "cut our teeth" in those seats just fine.

The law caused qualified airline pilots to scramble to make sure they had enough hours to keep their CURRENT jobs as airline pilots. Then carve outs were added for specific college programs and the military. Arbitrary numbers to say the least.

By no means am I saying everyone (or many at all) can be ready to be an FO at 250 hrs, or 10,000 hours for that matter. I know I probably wouldn't have been, and appreciate my CFI experience before the airlines.....

Just saying the dog and pony show backfired. The pony kicked em in the groin and they might have to put it down. Or pay people decent money to show up to class. One or the other.

Sorry, Congress or not, it's time for these scummy airlines to start paying a fair wage. It's been a long time coming.

Pay people a livable wage and you won't have too many problems filling your classes. Keep treating, paying pilots crappy, and find yourself out of the business. It's that simple. The Regionals in particular have had their way with pilots for far too long. I will not shed a tear if Republic, Mesa, Trans States, or even Expressjet can't find pilots. That will be Capitalism at its best.

The Majors are not off the hook either. Fail to keep your pilots satisfied, and watch them jump ship to other Majors/Legacies. There will be a lot of turnover from LCCs to Legacies if some of these airlines don't get their act together. You listening JetBlue???

I'm already at a legacy, thanks for assuming. I also had the pleasure of flying with many more "good" 250 hour wonderkids than "bad" as a captain at a regional. It's not the number of hours but the quality, right? That and all the other useful stuff "some" of the college programs teach. I'm also pretty sure that line to sit reserve at regional is pretty short these days, and many of us "cut our teeth" in those seats just fine.

The law caused qualified airline pilots to scramble to make sure they had enough hours to keep their CURRENT jobs as airline pilots. Then carve outs were added for specific college programs and the military. Arbitrary numbers to say the least.

By no means am I saying everyone (or many at all) can be ready to be an FO at 250 hrs, or 10,000 hours for that matter. I know I probably wouldn't have been, and appreciate my CFI experience before the airlines.....

Just saying the dog and pony show backfired. The pony kicked em in the groin and they might have to put it down. Or pay people decent money to show up to class. One or the other.

They tried to put it down, the Regional Airline Association tried to lobby Congress to stop it, but the families of the Colgan crash victims created such a stir, it became political suicide to go against it. They are ready to go public again most likely if it is challenged. Good.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back