Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Perfect STORM: Oil Gets Above $49 - Not Good....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

This can't be good news for USAirways, UAL, AMR, Delta, ATA, etc... Just puts more pressure on getting pilot concessions - continues to lower the bar more and more.

Who did we liberate in the Middle East? Thanks for your help... Time to drill Anwar in Alaska (although that still wouldn't help).

Oil gets above $49

Intense fighting in Iraq, an oil pipeline attack and rising imports drive runup.
August 20, 2004: 8:08 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A slowdown in oil's rapid rise is nowhere in sight as escalating violence in Iraq and continued high demand pushed record prices closer to the $50 a barrel mark Friday.

The contract price for U.S. light crude for September delivery jumped to an intraday record $49.27 in electronic trading Friday, up 57 cents from Thursday's record settlement.

In London, Brent crude for October delivery was trading at $45.06, just shy of its record of $45.14 reached earlier Friday and 73 cents more than Thursday.

The push to new peaks came as U.S. warplanes pounded areas near a shrine in Najaf where Shi'ite militiamen remained holed up after their leader, rebel cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, defied an ultimatum from Iraq's interim government to disarm.

The fighting compounded fears of further attacks on Iraqi oil infrastructure by insurgents who set fire Thursday to the headquarters of the state company that operates Iraq's southern oil fields, the South Oil Co. in Iraq's port city of Basra.

Although the South Oil Co. incident did not appear to disrupt supplies, Iraq's southern pipeline has been shut since a sabotage attack on Aug. 9, curbing export flows to about a million barrels daily, half normal rates.

Rising world oil demand has left little slack in the system to cope with outages in Iraq where Shiite militia have lived up to threats they will target oil infrastructure if U.S. forces do not leave the holy city of Najaf.

Demand also showed no signs of slowing as imports rose in both India and China.

Despite government efforts to slow an economic boom, Chinese crude imports for July jumped 41 percent with imports for the year to end-July up 40 percent year-on-year, according to customs data.

India's top refiner, state-run Indian Oil Corp. Ltd., said it expected the country's crude oil imports to rise 11 percent in 2004/05 as demand rises nearly four percent. [url="http://i.cnn.net/money/images/bug.gif"]http://i.cnn.net/money/images/bug.gif[/url]

Last edited:
"This can't be good news for USAirways, UAL, AMR, Delta, ATA, etc... Just puts more pressure on getting pilot concessions - continues to lower the bar more and more."

Funny, most industries pass the overhead to the consumer. Oil prices up and fares come down. Why? Because pilots are overpaid and thus should cover gas prices. This way the consumer can still have cheap tickets. The real problem is that there are too many airlines. Lets hope we see $60 a barrel throughout the winter. Let the weed-out begin. Hopefully, the gov't will stay out. In particular, w/ the way they pander LCC's. This way, a true market can exist and enable the industry to stabilize.

That is a nice short term solution. However, are there aluminum / composite materials eating termites in the desert where all those airplanes will get parked? If not, they will be back in the game before long to be operated cheaper than ever to put downward pressure back on ticket prices.

drag said:
"This can't be good news for USAirways, UAL, AMR, Delta, ATA, etc... Just puts more pressure on getting pilot concessions - continues to lower the bar more and more."

Hopefully, the gov't will stay out. In particular, w/ the way they pander LCC's. This way, a true market can exist and enable the industry to stabilize.
Care to expand on the "pandering" part? Your statement partially contradicts itself. Think about it for a second. I would think that oil being $60 would hurt the airlines you mentioned more than LCC's. As far as I can tell, two LCC's (SWA and JB) are pretty comfy with fuel hedges that THEY made, not the government. Help me out with your statement if you would, seriously.

C yaaa

While I can't speak for him, I think what he meant by "pandering" was the government intervening in not allowing consolidation to take place at the majors, vis a vis UAL and UAIR, NWA and CAL, and myriad of other mergers that could have occurred without the government's intervention due to antitrust concerns...thus preventing the majors from gaining better economies of scale, limiting competition, and controlling pricing. Another intervention problem is that they have also given aid to dying airlines and prolonging the inevitable vice letting the weak players die out allowing the survivors to thrive (or at least squeak by). While the government aid has gone to everyone, the LCC's have benefitted the most from the intervention policies as a whole as few majors have been able to monopolize a market and control prices as they have in the past.
UAIR used to run well over 90% of the flights out of Charlotte & Pittsburgh, DAL "owned" Atlanta, NWA "owned" MEM, MSP, DET...those days are gone mostly because LCC's have moved in and now control the pricing. The government didn't do this to be mean, they just wanted to do what was best for the consumer. Arguably they have done that as prices have come way down and no airline can afford to lose the revenue that they lose when they raise prices in these highly price sensitive markets now. I think most experts will agree that this is best for the long run for prices, but will ultimately hurt the small towns currently serviced by the feeders for the majors that the LCC's won't touch. Perhaps eventually it will be worth it for LCC's to pick up that business, but not for awhile I think.
Anyway, I don't think he meant "pandering" in a mean way...just that the current policies have benefitted the LCC's the most which is true as they are doing much better in the current environment. Then again...I can't really speak for him, so maybe I am wrong...

Last edited:
Main Entry: 1pan·der javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?pander01.wav=pander')
Pronunciation: 'pan-d&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English Pandare Pandarus, from Latin Pandarus
1 a : a go-between in love intrigues b : [size=-1]PIMP[/size]
2 : someone who caters to or exploits the weaknesses of others

I'd sure go with the PIMP version. I sick of the Government Pimp taking my airline's money to fund his habit, spending that is. Tax my A$$.

Canyon Blue...I was looking for a picture of a pimp? Whats up with that, no picture?

drag said:

Funny, most industries pass the overhead to the consumer. Oil prices up and fares come down. Why? Because pilots are overpaid and thus should cover gas prices. This way the consumer can still have cheap tickets. The real problem is that there are too many airlines. Lets hope we see $60 a barrel throughout the winter. Let the weed-out begin. Hopefully, the gov't will stay out. In particular, w/ the way they pander LCC's. This way, a true market can exist and enable the industry to stabilize.
Well said, my friend!

jetblue320 said:
Care to expand on the "pandering" part? Your statement partially contradicts itself. Think about it for a second. I would think that oil being $60 would hurt the airlines you mentioned more than LCC's. As far as I can tell, two LCC's (SWA and JB) are pretty comfy with fuel hedges that THEY made, not the government. Help me out with your statement if you would, seriously.

C yaaa
Dude, get off your LCC high horse! Half the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**en reason this industry and namely our profession is suffering so bad is because assholes like you take jobs at carriers that pay 1/2 the wages of the so called "legacy" airlines.

Lets see how your fuel hedge does if JB were paying you pre-concession UAL rates on that Bus??

It's funny how the airline industry works. It's a shame that us pilots are not paid as well as representatives at drug companies. That industry is flourishing right now and they are charging people an arm and a leg for their products. The drug industry and airline industry are two different things now, but are people who walk into doctor's offices and drop off samples really worth like 80,000 a year? We pilots have lots of responsibility and should be paid accordingly.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back