Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJP

Registered Eye-Poker
Anyone ever jumpseat to the Philippines? It appears that NWA goes to Manila through Tokyo. Just curious how the logistics worked out if anyone has done this trip.

Cheers.
RJP

United does as well, and you can do CAL via Guam. The 737-800 to/from MNL from GUM should be easy, but HNL to/From GUM can be tight as GUM is a domicile for CAL folks. Another option used to be to get to GUM and if you hit a snag there, you can take NW to NRT and go that way. The United flight and NWA flights leave NRT very close to the same time, so that's nice. When you get CASS, you can go on UPS (brown taking you to the brown) and when FedEx gets CASS, I would imagine you could get to Olongapo easily.

The P.I.

Ahhhhh, Olongapo, what memories!

TransMach
USN 1972-1978

Hugh, thanks for the intel. Unfortunately, we've only got a deal with Continental in the US. Something about them not reciprocating unless we flew international as well. Bummer.

Didn't realize that UAL goes to MNL. Should be helpful.

Much mahalos.

Guess that explains why I couldn't find them on the net. No worries. Thanks again for the tips. As it gets closer, I'll PM you for some local "culture" sights that shouldn't be missed.

Forgot to ask. Does NWA take multiple jumpseaters? Is there a requirement to list 24 hours out for an international flight? So many questions, so little time before the PI.

Pi

Hey RJP,
My wife is Filipina from N Mindanao. Beautiful place.
UAL used to go there which connected through from SFO to Kimpo. I believe they still have code share carriers that still do. Northwest goes all the way to MNL still but gets there 2200-2300 which means you may have to stay the night in the terminal to move around the beautiful islands by catching the commuter connections the next morning.
Manila is, uh! not so great. Check out Boracay, Cebu, Camigan Island, and stay out of the Moslem infested areas in the far south unless you can rent an M-16.
Olongapo has become a very nice rebuilt resort since Mt Pinatubo erupted. It has no resemblance to what it was 20 years ago. FedEx has a base there at NAS Cubi Point. You may be able to jump seat with them.
If your an adventurist type, I think you'll enjoy it.
:DP3 (USN Orion) Tweek

Pre-911 I jumpseated on NWA through Tokyo to Taipei quite a lot. It was always straight forward. On arrival in Tokyo you just went through the transit area and back to the NWA gates. ( the tip on that used to be to avoid the first line and go a little further towards the main terminal where there was always a much shorter line for security screening ). I can't remember that I booked in advance, usually just showed up at the gate podium and asked for a jumpseat. It's not like a lot of people are jumpseating through Tokyo so you'll get on unless some unusual cirumstances happen ( or you are a jetBlue pilot ;) ). NWA always treated me very well when jumpseating, especially international.

I've got a layover in Manila next month. Just saw the State Department has put out a warning to Americans to avoid travel there. The Abu Sayaf and Jemaal Islamiyah apparently have some attacks planned for the Easter holidays. I tend to take the SD warnings with a grain of salt, but do try to avoid crowded places when they put one out ( I do that anyway when travelling so it's not much of an iconvenience ). As someone said already the south would probably not be a good place to go. I've always wanted to go to Palawan.

In Manila, we stay in Makati City. Traffic there is horrible so I don't usually stray to far from Makati. There is a great little restaurant and bar complex across the street from our hotel ( Renaissance, I think ). Not too far from P. Burgos Street either :D .

I've done a city tour of Manila that included the old Spanish area as well as the World War II cemetary. I thought the later was very interesting. They've written the names of all American and Phillipino serviceman who died in the Pacific and are buried there on a series of walls along with pictoral descriptions of all the major battles. Its in a nice setting up on a hill with well manicured lawns.

Hugh said:

brown taking you to the brown

That's pretty funny.

TP

Latest resources

Back