• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The movie Fever Pitch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought I'd be nice to the wifey one night and watched "Never Been Kissed" with her. I almost became physically sick at the end of the movie. I'm not kidding either. After seeing that movie, I needed to clense myself by watching Fight Club about 17 times.

Mostly the way they treated Damon was because he said "No, No, No Yankees, money doesn't matter", Yet he came over for 2 million more a year. ESPN kept showing his comment from exactly a year ago.

So, he got what he got. I clapped for him. But booed right there afterwards.

I'll take Manny (being Manny) over that Pony trotting, pink lipstick wearing A-Rod anyday.

GO Sox!!

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Good show for the Sox fans last night....

Didn't think Wang was going to do too much. He might start with a haircut.
Bombers Bats were disapointing too.... But even more so, were the way Sox's treated Damon. The guy [helped] delivered you the only title in 86 years and you treat him for taking the same thing you would've......money. Can you blame the guy? He wanted to win another Title and knoew his best chance was in the Bronx. (now if the Sox win the WS this year..that would be something!)

After you watch Feverpitch and Jimmy Fallon getting his sack scratched by a guy, sit down and watch The Pride of the Yankees. You'll learn about a real winner.

We will see tonight... how good Chacon does....

Nonetheless, congrats on your win.

BTW... not sure if I could tell the difference between a homeless bum that lives under the Green Monster or Manny....what a skank!

I agree with some points. As the RemDog said, he was part of the team that brought the world championship to Boston. For that every man on that roster should get a standing ovation regardless of who they play for when they return to Fenway. However, after that first at bat they should be treated as any other player and booed accordingly.

2nd: He did not go to the Yankees cause he'd have a "better chance" at winning another world series. This isn't Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson. He has the same chance with either club. It was the simple fact that he would make more money,a lot more money, which is what most of us would do.

3rd: Fever Pitch isn't a great Red Sox movie. It's just a chick flick that is made tolerable by the fact that it's about the Sox. For a great Sox movie check out "Fear Strikes Out" about Jimmy Piersall and his rise and fall in the Sox organization (on a side note, I got all my multi time from flying with his son).

4th: I hate Manny's ratty lion mane as well. But it's Manny being Manny and he's always gonna do something that gets on people's nerves. And you can't deny the talent.

5th: Good luck tonight with Chacon. But I'll take my chances with Beckett any day.

Finally, thank GOD Dougie came back I hated Bard, and especially the gay ass hockey mask he wore. It's one of my pet peeves. You're playing BASEBALL!! Wear a baseball catchers mask!!

zawillif said:
4th: I hate Manny's ratty lion mane as well. But it's Manny being Manny and he's always gonna do something that gets on people's nerves. And you can't deny the talent.!!

5th: Good luck tonight with Chacon. But I'll take my chances with Beckett any day.

Manny being Manny is just his gimmick. As soon as the talent runs dry, Manny "the flavor of the month" will be forgotten....

The guy has no class.... he is not the total ball player....

You may be right about Beckett..... The Sox's closer, Papelbon was untouchable...

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Manny being Manny is just his gimmick. As soon as the talent runs dry, Manny "the flavor of the month" will be forgotten....

The guy has no class.... he is not the total ball player....

You may be right about Beckett..... The Sox's closer, Papelbon was untouchable...

It's def not "his" gimmick. Manny being Manny was coined by the talk show hosts on WEEI 850, the Boston sports radio station. I highly doubt his talent is going to run dry anytime soon. He is the best right handed hitter in the game the only other player who comes close is Albert Pujols. Plus the fact that he has had 7 consecutive seasons with 40+ homers and 100+ RBIs makes him much more than a flavor of the month . . . maybe flavor of the past 7 years.

zawillif said:
It's def not "his" gimmick. Manny being Manny was coined by the talk show hosts on WEEI 850, the Boston sports radio station. I highly doubt his talent is going to run dry anytime soon. He is the best right handed hitter in the game the only other player who comes close is Albert Pujols. Plus the fact that he has had 7 consecutive seasons with 40+ homers and 100+ RBIs makes him much more than a flavor of the month . . . maybe flavor of the past 7 years.

Is that how the local talk show hosts explain an embarrssement? Like an embarrssed Mom saying Boys will be boys....

I didn't say his talent would run out soon.... although I did indicate that talent is all he got. His Momma did a crappy job and he behaves like Dad wasn't around....

He can't let his talent speak for its self...even after he performs well he still has to be THE Fenway attention whore.

It is nice when a talented ball player brings something to the park besides his talent...something bigger than himself, for the game, the fans and the ball club... but all Manny brings is.... Manny being Manny....

And people giggle and luagh and its cute and it is embarrassing...

I agree with some of your points and disagree with some others. I'm not saying that he's cute. In fact if you look back on this thread I started by saying I hate the dirty Lion's Mane. You're right that he's not well groomed and basically has the mentallity of a child.

"Manny being Manny" pertains to the fact that he is a diva. He's one of the greatest hitters in the game, he's overpaid, he doesn't like to speak to the media, he can show great defense at times and then other times have brain farts and daydreams in the field, and he has a bad temper. It's not some cutsie phrase that they just made up. Its a description, you can't do anything about his personality, its just Manny being Manny. All you can hope for is that he comes out and performs every day, which he does 95% of the time.

To say that the fans don't care about this is just plain wrong. I remember just last year he was getting booed for not running out ground balls. Red Sox fans are the most educated fans in the world and if you're not playing the game right we'll let you know.

All that being said this year he has been doing much better. He has had a lot of hustle on the basepaths and has shown some pretty good leather so far as well. Let's just hope he keeps it up and doesn't throw any temper tantrums.

I think his image matches his attitude about playing the game.... Some managers would rather have a great attiude and average talent.... but you are right.. It is Manny being Manny... above average talent.... poor attitude...

Rez O. Lewshun said:
I think his image matches his attitude about playing the game.... Some managers would rather have a great attiude and average talent.... but you are right.. It is Manny being Manny... above average talent.... poor attitude...

Kinda like Sheffield..above average talent, poor attitude.

SennaP1 said:
Kinda like Sheffield..above average talent, poor attitude.

Agreed........ Sheff has a bad attitude but he is no way as bad [atttidue] as Skanny...

I was at Yankee Stadium last year and watched Sheff drop an easy fly ball as he tried to catch it one handed at waist level..... I can see that at local T-ball....

Also, Sheff always (ok, maybe not always) tries to hit a homer... I mean, the guy swings so hard he can't even keep his balance.... Unlike Matsui....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back