Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bravodude

The Most Life-Threatening Jobs
According to BLS data, the following jobs had some of the highest fatality rates for 2005:

Fishers and related fishing workers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 118.4
Average salary: $29,000 per year

Logging workers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 92.9
Average salary: $31,290 per year

Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 66.9
Average salary: $135,040

Structural iron and steel workers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 55.6
Average salary: $43,540

Refuse and recyclable material collectors
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 43.8
Average salary: $30,160

Farmers and ranchers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 41.1
Average salary: $39,720

Electrical power-line installers and repairers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 32.7
Average salary: $49,200

Truck drivers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 29.1
Average salary: $35,460 (for heavy or tractor-trailer drivers)

Miscellaneous agricultural workers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 23.2
Average salary: $24,140

Construction laborers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 22.7
Average salary: $29,050

You can do any dangerous job safely, and any safe job dangerously. Those are the words of my pappy, who was a logger. He escaped the woods without a scratch, while myself and many others carry scars from being careless. We do make some good scratch for only being the third most dangerous though. Cool.

-Spartacus

Again average salary was probably calcuated using average CA salary, since people don't consider the co-pilot to be the pilot.

This list comes out every year. They group all paid pilots together for the data. This includes cropdusters, pipeline patrol, firebombers (or whatever you call them), flight instructors and check haulers as well as corporate and airline pilots. If you put just airline pilots together guess how many die per year on the job in the US? Yeah not many.

We still live on the edge in 121 land. There was this one time I received a hot cup of coffee during some continuous light turb. and I totally went for the sip. There were some white caps forming in the cup, but I was quick enough to keep them under the spill line. Truth be told it could have turned out a lot different, but I survived the burned lip. Told all my pilot buddies I did it bobbing for french fries. This job is more dangerous than most know. I could have accidently splashed some of that java up a nostril, and then where would I have been?

-Spartacus

$$$

At least we get paid for the danger. Sucks to be a fisherman...you smell bad, die quicker, and get paid less than someone working at McDonalds

Last edited:
We still live on the edge in 121 land. There was this one time I received a hot cup of coffee during some continuous light turb. and I totally went for the sip. There were some white caps forming in the cup, but I was quick enough to keep them under the spill line. Truth be told it could have turned out a lot different, but I survived the burned lip. Told all my pilot buddies I did it bobbing for french fries. This job is more dangerous than most know. I could have accidently splashed some of that java up a nostril, and then where would I have been?

-Spartacus

I hope you are alright. You should now better. Its people like you that make this job so dangerous! (just jokeing for those of you that can't tell)

At least we get paid for the danger. Sucks to be a fisherman...you smell bad, die quicker, and get paid less than someone working at McDonalds

I'm sure you are right in most cases, however some of the most dangerous fishing up around Alaska pays extremely well if they have a great season.

-Spartacus

O.K.....O.K.....that obviously must have been on the AVRO. Can't even remember the last time the coffee was HOT on the Saab. Usually somewhere between cold and a hint of warm. Probably done on purpose to keep us lowly prop drivers from getting hurt.

Latest resources

Back