• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Lucrative Aviation Industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Come on Pilotyip. That's the only answer? If they don't go to on-demand and live at the whim of USAJet -- tied to the electronic leash 24/7 -- then they've chosen the wrong path?

I'm in my mid 30s, have a college degree (which is worthless), and the only way I made six figures was by marrying a woman who earned good money.

Furloughed, you have chosen your path, good for you, but it not your place to judge others who have chosen other paths. The Passenger DC-9 pilots are not on a 24 hour leash, they know their schedules for days worked up to six months in advance and their departure times from YIP normally two days in advance, their days off are hard and they are always home on their days off. We are not having any problems finding really quality pilots who want to start out in the DA-20 as F/O's. I wish you the best, this is still a great career.

Yes guys, YIP has alzheimers - no doubt...but he is correct in saying that one CAN make a 100K at places like USA Jet. No life (15 min callout), live in Yipsilanti, fly old crap, etc...but it can be done, in fact, some may actually like it!

Regional guys...everyone doubting making any money has the same "CL-65" in their profile. C'mon guys, airlines in the tank since 2000...6 years ago...you guys all sound young, why are you still there? Is the industry turn just around the corner?

Break the Generation X mold and go for it! - you have nothing to lose but 12 bucks an hour and an impending furlough!

Last edited:
and yes guys living to be old enought to have alzhemers is a blessing in and of itself. Taught my son to fly, talked him into flying in the miltary, he got out and now flies for a living, seems pretty happy. Now teaching my grandson to fly, hope to get him his private in high school like his dad, Great career!

Last edited:
Lucrative Aviation

Pilotyip,

I have agreed most of the time with most of what you have had to say regarding "no degree required" ... but it is darn sure helpful. I have agreed that there are ways to make a good living in aviation besides the airlines ... which are now in the tank anyway ... (I always have flying freight, managing air carrier ops, large airplane corporate/charter). I disagree with your statement that "you can plan on making $100K/yr in your mid 30s". Yes, there may well be some mid 30s DC9 CAs at your place. But how many seats are available, all together at $100K/yr, 10 or 15 ?? That's 10 or 15 opportunities for, what, 150,000 guys 'n gals ?? Get my point ??

Gulfstream 200,

Please don't encourage all those CL-65 S.J.S. wonders to pursue corporate/charter ... we certainly don't need them pounding on our employer's door saying "I'll do it for less, darn I'll do it for darn near free!"

It's hard enough to keep our industry's standards where they are and should be without that additional challenge. Please ...

TransMach

TransMach said:
But how many seats are available, all together at $100K/yr, 10 or 15 ?? That's 10 or 15 opportunities for, what, 150,000 guys 'n gals ?? Get my point ??
The same could be said about corporate and 135 gigs. There are those that are worth pursuing, and those that are a living hell. The ones worth pursuing I'm sure have stacks upon stacks of resumes on file...

I interviewed at a 91/135 gig where they wanted to put me in a 604 for $19,000/yr as an f/o. And to top it off, you're on call 24/7. Wow, sounds like the deal of a lifetime!

~wheelsup

Piltoyip, I'd like, if I may, make a small correction to your post (#10.) You could make 100k or fly fly passengers. If you're on the pax side, you won't get anywhere near guarantee, all the per deim won't quite push you up to that number. Mid 70's easy, or fly fr8 and be available-- on days off-- 100+ is quite doable.
Not whining, not much anyway, just how I sees it.

I like your signature. Very true

Latest resources

Back