• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Irrelevancy of ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I recall shredding this piece of op ed months ago. Basically, the guy thinks ALPA is obsolete. And his reasoning is ALPA should be taking on management/operational duties.

Air Line Pilots Do Not Run Airlines!

ALPA is the protection we have against ourselves, not the company. Could you imagine letting pilots bid their own contracts at airlines? If that were to happen, the highest paid job in the industry would be flight instructor on a C172.

I believe there are lots of problems with the current ALPA idea of negotiations etc

My big problem is this
"Fly it and Grieve" which basically gives a company the right to abuse you with little or no monetary damage or policy change for at least a matter of months, if not years... It's like Napoleanic Law..

Pogue Mahone said:
At least now we finally know what Brian has been doing for the last few years since his last pilot bashing article in V1.

For over 18 months he has been writing new Loft scenarios for the RJ. He has so totally screwed them up (according to an IP) that they have been deemed worthless. Guess it is hard to write line flying scenarios when you have no experience in line flying. According to the IP, B.W. is more screwed in the Head than Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys fame. It appears they don't care what he does so long as he doesn't try to fly the line unless it is CAVU and he has a competent F/O who would not be too shy to take the aircraft from him if necessary. When he speaks IP's scatter.

Huck said:
Sorry guys, I got to pipe up here.

1999: Brian, me and my sim partner Sean S. are practicing on oral questions prior to our captain's rides in the EMB-120.

Brian asks me - so, you're holding over Macon, ATL's closed, how low will you let your gas get before you divert to Macon?

I said I wanted to be able to fly to ATL, shoot an approach, come back to Macon and land with 45 minutes of gas. I thought this is what he was looking for.

Brian then states that he would have no problem in DEPARTING macon for ATL with 400 pounds! (The Brasilia burned about 1000/ hour).

When I had recovered sufficiently, I asked him what he would do if the runway was closed in ATL. "I'd just land on another one." What if ALL of them were closed? "I'd just land on a taxiway." I asked if he was seriously talking about landing a Part 121 aircraft with passengers on a taxiway. He said sure.

Brian W and John G are the two main reasons I left that place. Somebody thank them for me.

Steve G
ASA Class of 1999

Huck,

Even if you had said you couldn't remember the name most of us that have been here over 10 years could have been your phone a friend on Millionaire and bailed you out if that had been in the form of a question.

In the years since you left he has only gotten worse. His standing among most line pilots and IP's is lower than whale dung. He is truly very impressed with himself. Unfortunately he will never leave because two minutes into an interview he will blow himself out of the water. All the 1800 letters of recommendation from the ASA pilots will do him no good.:laugh:

Latest resources

Back