Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

redshirt

Hello all,

I am fresh off of receiving my private pilot's license last week. I want to get the rest of my ratings ASAP, then instruct, then fly progressively bigger and faster planes for the rest of my life.

I have a question for all of you who are with me now or have been there:

Would it be better for me to 1) get my multi-private next, then build multi time as I get my instrument rating, or 2) get the instrument in a single, and wait for the commercial rating to get multi rating.

or, put another way:

1) Get all my ratings for ~$28k and about 25 multi, or
2) Get all my ratings for about $36k and about 100 multi?

This is kind or a repost on my part, sorry about that. I just want to get as much good advice as possible. I know multi is extremely important for my future prospects, but is it worth forking out big bucks for in training, or should I wait until I am a CFI and take my chances on building it that way?

Comments appreciated. Thanks!

I would not get your private multi. It is just another checkride you have to take... your making more work for yourself. Just take your time, get your instrument then commercial. Don't try to rush things. Congrats on your private, but don't let it get to your head. Some people have a tendency to think too far ahead after getting your private done. Just take it one step at a time.

Beside even if you did get your private multi, who would let you rent the plane with low multi time and just being a private, no instrument? Probably no one.

Also evaluate where you are doing your training. Will they need instructors soon? Do they have twin engine aircraft? Are they getting twin students? Buying a lot of time is one way, but instructing is better as far as the airlines are concerned.

So I would say #1 is a better option. But more importantly don't try to rush through training too fast.

Do you have the 36k?!? I would say if you do, take option #1. Also, does ALL the ratings include CFII/MEI? Save that extra 8K and if you wanted too, you could buy a block of multi, fly alot of x-country, night, IFR...all the stuff you will need to get in your logbook.

All the while, teach and get the hours up. With the way things are now, you will really have no choice to instruct, fly jumpers, banner tow....etc.

There is really no rush right now..relax and concentrate on building your time. Dont forget to NETWORK also. It helps ALOT if you know people, they might be able to help you later on.

1900cpt

Thanks for the replies. I don't have $36k laying around anywhere, but I am still working full time, and have thus far been able to pay as I go. If I get my multi-private first, I will be taking on some debt for a while, which is also why I am taking this so seriously.

Your point about networking is well taken. I've seen it work wonders. Help and be helped, that's what it's all about.

And if any of you all have a spare $36k that you don't need, well then... problem solved!

Private multi

Both ways work. The $8K extra for the Private Multi hurts, but I like getting a Private multi early. It would be good for you to do as much multi flying as you can early in the game and get PIC multi. The Commercial multi is really the Private multi all over again. It will also give you a leg up on the multi-building game, but not necessarily an advantage come hiring time. You'll still need to build many more multi hours before the commuters or anyone will be interested in you.

You really don't want to buy multi time. People who hire want to see that you built your time through legitimate (if you know what I mean ;) ), honest employment.

Many programs have students get their initial Commercial-Instrument in the multi and then put them in the right seat to get their initial CFI as MEI's and CFI-I's. Then they go back to a fixed single for CFI-A. I like that kind of a program because they get more bang for their multi buck. But, make sure the CFI ratings are included in the price. Don't pay extra to do initial CFI in the multi, unless you want to.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your plans.

Latest resources

Back