The High and The Mighty

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Donsa320 said:
Well, I saw those two movies when they first came out in 1953 and 1954 respectively. I was a USAF Aviation Cadet in '53 and when I saw "Moon" take that little D-4 calculator out of his pocket, I knew I had to have one. I did find one and used it, flying all over the the US, Europe and Asia. I still have it, in my collection of memorabilia. I see many of you young guys make fun of the pictures but for us, at the time, it was all we had. Of course now you all have your Flight Sim and stuff so you are sooo much more sophisticated, right? <bg>

~DC

I think the reason these movies are so comical today is primarily because most of us have seen the two Airplane! movies so many times that we're finally seeing where the characters and situations in the films came from. If the advertising on AMC was to be believed, this is the first time in over 20yrs that "The High and The Mighty" has been on television, and I know that I never saw it before that... So don't worry, it's not about the pocket flight computer, which by the way I had to learn on myself in the 90's, and that's not a typo (imagine my surprise that there were ELECTRONIC flight computers!).

I.P. Freley said:
I think the reason these movies are so comical today is primarily because most of us have seen the two Airplane! movies so many times that we're finally seeing where the characters and situations in the films came from. If the advertising on AMC was to be believed, this is the first time in over 20yrs that "The High and The Mighty" has been on television, and I know that I never saw it before that... So don't worry, it's not about the pocket flight computer, which by the way I had to learn on myself in the 90's, and that's not a typo (imagine my surprise that there were ELECTRONIC flight computers!).

Well, at least you got something out of them. For us, "Island..." was how NOT to get rescued and "The High and the Mighty" was the lack of what is now CRM. If you noticed, in "The High..", Wayne's character did not know how close the fuel situation was until much later in the plot. Reducing rpm and increasing the manifold pressure to get the needed power could have been done earlier. But then most of you guys have no experience with geared superchargers and large round engines and you probably never will so forget it.

~DC

Last edited:
Actually, the other funny part about THATM was the whole beginning of the film with the passenger check-in and the scenes between passengers in the cabin... Not to mention the "stewardess" talking about the fine meals she was going to be cooking up for the passengers during the flight. In the context of the modern airline "experience", the film is so far divorced from what we're now used to that it's bound to get at least a giggle.

I won't even get into the choice between 7000 and 9000 for a cruising altitude. :D

You seem a little annoyed that some of us found such pleasure in the film because you find issue with what we find funny... No need for that, remember that these films are now over 50yrs old and any film about ANYTHING that is a half-century old will seem like an anachronism.

After watching that movie today, I taped it. I can see ATC or flight service, hasn't changed a bit.:eek:

Gotta love the advanced technology the FAA is still using.

I DID GET A KICK OUT OF THE MOVIE THOUGH, AHHH THE GOOD 'OLE DAYS!

Last edited:
I.P. Freley said:
Actually, the other funny part about THATM was the whole beginning of the film with the passenger check-in and the scenes between passengers in the cabin... Not to mention the "stewardess" talking about the fine meals she was going to be cooking up for the passengers during the flight. In the context of the modern airline "experience", the film is so far divorced from what we're now used to that it's bound to get at least a giggle.

I won't even get into the choice between 7000 and 9000 for a cruising altitude. :D

You seem a little annoyed that some of us found such pleasure in the film because you find issue with what we find funny... No need for that, remember that these films are now over 50yrs old and any film about ANYTHING that is a half-century old will seem like an anachronism.
True, but I listened closely to the dialogue in the movie and to tell you the truth, there were a lot of things in that movie that made me say, "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

Your're correct, airline service isn't what it used to be, but people are still people.

What did the use for the aircraft special effects prop...some hood ornament from an old Pontiac? :)

Latest resources

Back