• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captain William Overstreet Jr.

Captain William Overstreet Jr.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/article_...9bb30f31a.html

"Former fighter pilot William Overstreet Jr., famous for flying beneath the arches of the Eiffel Tower while chasing a German aircraft during the war, died Sunday afternoon. He was 92."

"One of his greatest honors was receiving France?s Legion of Honor by the French ambassador to the U.S. in 2009 at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford."

"Overstreet?s most famous flight came while in solo pursuit of a German Messerschmitt Bf 109G flying into Nazi-occupied Paris. He maneuvered his plane beneath the arches of the Eiffel Tower, re-igniting the spirit of the French Resistance troops on the ground."

We will never see men and women like this generation. I have flown several Honor flights with my airline to and from DC. These men are so awesome! I can't help but feel I am the one "honored" to get to see these men and fly them to and from DC. Many of these men will never go anywhere again they are getting so old. What they have done and what they have seen and still they don't shove it anyone's face asking to be recognized. They are very very humble. I miss that humbleness today, having spent most of my youth with my father and his brothers from that generation.

Latest resources

Back