• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The goal of LUV - SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My other story was the glass is half empty version. This is the half full.

SWA is a GREAT company to work for. The management works with the pilots and flight attendants and these groups largely work with the company. The pilot "union" is an association. Different than ALPA in organization and execution. The membership even runs off SWAPA officers that get out of hand. A different attitude with more power in the membership and a more company oriented membership than most. The flight attendants are not unhappy as you might have been told. In fact, they are friendlier than anywhere else I've been and the two groups respect each other. Good for your QOL and I know its good for passenger relations.

I can tell you all the employee groups are friendlier to each other. Yes, the gate agents aren't mean like at AA. They generally want to get another carrier's pilots on the jumpseat home. One reason for the good attitude is there are a lot of internal hires to flight attendant. Gate agents, baggage handlers, etc. That kind of opportunity is not lost on them.

The company takes care of its own. You will make it thru (pilot) training and they focus on keeping you as an employee as long as you hold promise and want to be here. They will even train non-pilots for a skill they need to LEAVE SWA if that is what they really want.

Most of what I can say about the finances is look at the SEC filings of SWA and competitors. Take a long look at debt and CASM breakdown. Debt burdens with rising interest rates are very bad. If SWA's labor costs are 1 cent more in CASM than competitors, how much are they paying per seat mile in debt servicing? Last, but not least, if JetBlue and Airtran really have an advantage over SWA, is there room for all 3 to grow? I think so.

The future, take a guess. My glass is half empty story above is as negative as I can get about the company and it is still positive, IMHO. The best case is very good.

Last edited:
Here is a question for the SWA guys: is SWA currently buying fuel hedges? I have heard two stories: 1) there are currently no hedges available to purchase, and 2) SWA has recently picked up hedges in the $60/barrel price range. Any truth?

If it's true SWA has picked up new hedges, then I think it's possible it's cost advantage could endure longer than we all have been predicting. The price of oil is not coming back down. I have done some pretty extensive research on the topic and attended some energy industry conferences. The virtually undisputed consensus in the energy industry is that oil prices will never come back down. If SWA has picked up and is picking up new hedges, then that is good news for SWA. It would mean that five years from now when everyone else is paying for fuel based on $90-100 or more per barrel oil, then SWA will have a significant cost advantage buying fuel based on $60-70 per barrel oil.

LakeTahoeFlyer said:
Do you want to fly dal sat dal aus dal hou sat....all in one day?

Oh come on now....sure those trips are out there....if you want them. I've been junior and mid range senior and have never been awarded a line with that kind of day in it.

Now, I do work the open time/extra fly/VJA/trip trade-give away...and yes, I have picked up a day like that once or twice since I've been here. But it was my choice.

I also don't care for the loooong haul stuff. Ya know, PHL-LAX or ISP-LAS. Just too long for me...around 3.0 is just about right for me....you on the other hand, might like it.

Botom line, if you don't want it....you probably won't fly it.

As for the auto throttles....as I've said before on these boards, I've flown the 737 with and without....and its no big deal either way for me but, maybe it is for you, and thats OK too, I guess.

Tejas

Guys -- thanks for the replies. It has been interesting to read all the thoughts and all. I have to agree with most of what I have read. I am glad to see that this post has, for the most part, stayed positive... I am looking forward to the opportunity that I may have in the near future with SWA. I am excited like no other! Words can't explain the excitement...

I am glad to hear that we have people here that have left "cush" corporate jobs for the airline of choice. I have always wanted to be a swa pilot and no other, but I am sure that some of you will agree with me on this one, it is tough to look 20 years down the road and a lot easier to look at the present where, as in this case, I am getting paid well, pampered and treated like no other, but I do not know how long it will last and the fact of the matter is, it is still not SWA... I want to be on the SWA team, as stated numerous times, it is just a hard time to make the possible jump when things are so great in the sector that I am in, but I am sure that it will not last... The bottom line is an airline has to have planes for their business model... We do not have to have them and have had a history of dumping them and pilots when things are a little rough... Guys, again, thanks for the discussion -- this is a great think tank and it triggers a lot of thoughts...

Last edited:
humuakalaka said:
Here is a question for the SWA guys: is SWA currently buying fuel hedges? I have heard two stories: 1) there are currently no hedges available to purchase, and 2) SWA has recently picked up hedges in the $60/barrel price range. Any truth?

If it's true SWA has picked up new hedges, then I think it's possible it's cost advantage could endure longer than we all have been predicting. The price of oil is not coming back down. I have done some pretty extensive research on the topic and attended some energy industry conferences. The virtually undisputed consensus in the energy industry is that oil prices will never come back down. If SWA has picked up and is picking up new hedges, then that is good news for SWA. It would mean that five years from now when everyone else is paying for fuel based on $90-100 or more per barrel oil, then SWA will have a significant cost advantage buying fuel based on $60-70 per barrel oil.

Don't know if SWA is picking up any fuel hedges lately. I think the last time was early this year and the few SWA bought raised the average hedged price by a significant amount for 2007-2009.

IMHO SWA won't buy anymore unless the price of oil comes down under $60 (which will encourage someone to sell a hedge to SWA for $50 a barrel or less)

Someone, somewhere has to predict a decline in oil for it to work for the airline hedging.

Last edited:
Guys,

Is it true that SWA is going to try to double in size in the next four or five years? I understand that they want to have over 8000 pilots by 2012... That is some exciting news!

Go Canyon Blue!

want2bluvd said:
Guys,

Is it true that SWA is going to try to double in size in the next four or five years? I understand that they want to have over 8000 pilots by 2012... That is some exciting news!

Go Canyon Blue!

it isTrue

Tejas-Jet said:
I also don't care for the loooong haul stuff. Ya know, PHL-LAX or ISP-LAS. Just too long for me...around 3.0 is just about right for me....you on the other hand, might like it.

PHL to the West coast is long haul? I guess it's all relative. ;)

I hear where you're coming from, though. In 1992 or '93, the AA ATR-42 fleet was grounded, and I was called out on reserve as a 727 FE to cover some ATR-42 flying, replaced with an ancient 727-100 with the pneumatic (manual) pressurization. The trip, each day for 3 days:

ORD-MKE
MKE-ORD
ORD-MKE
MKE-ORD
ORD-MKE
MKE-ORD
ORD-MKE
MKE-ORD

A 24-leg 3-day! The CA and FO had a blast, hand-flying tower to tower, while I was going beserk running the checklist, doing walkarounds, and trying to keep everyone's eardrums intact with that horrible and cheap pressurization controller. It was the worst trip I've ever flown, by far. Close city pairs will get you up to speed really quickly as far as landings and stuff, but it's a lot of work, too.

Gorilla said:
PHL to the West coast is long haul? I guess it's all relative.

Hey, it is all relative. Like I said, my arse is only good for about 3.0...can't go more then that on one leg. Thats what I like. Some folks like longer, and thats OK. As I've said before, its great to live in a country where we have choices.

Yeah....that ORD-MKE trip looks like it was a bugger. But some of that mixed in a trip, I really don't mind.

My perfect trip is a mixture of a few .8's and a few 3.0's and some in between stuff. Just don't give me any PHL-LAX stuff. But some guys like it....fine, let 'em take it.

I have buds that regularly fly LAX-LHR. Others that do PHL-MAD. And they like it....but it ain't for me. I've done it before, and I don't want to do it again....but again, thats me.

Thats the beauty of diversity, I guess.

Tejas

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back