Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetboy

Hello-
I am considering a career as a frac pilot and was wondering if you who are living the dream could answer a few questions for me.

What is a typical tour like? Could someone post show times, legs, etc. How far in advance do you know where you are going? Do you have to call dispatch after every leg? Is it true you spend half the time in the backs of airliners? Do you have to file your own flight plans? How much time do you spend in the FBO pilot's lounge vs. flying? Do you get rental cars if you are laying over for a day or two or do you never lay over that long? Lastly, what's it like being gone for 7 days at a pop for you married types?

Thanks on advance for the replies.

What is a typical tour like?
there is no "typical" tour. could be a busy 30 hours in 7 days, or 5 hours in 7 days. nothing is typical at eja.

Could someone post show times, legs, etc.
see above. i've had 0100 shows and i've had 1800 shows (on first day). on the road, it could be anything, early morning, late night, midday, redeyes. legs could be one, or you could do several. the most legs i've ever done was seven.

How far in advance do you know where you are going?
the evening prior you get the next day's brief. usually the first leg or two will remain the same. after that it's anybody's guess. don't be surprised if you get an AFIS msg, or center instructions from co, or a flight phone call and dispatch has you divert.

Do you have to call dispatch after every leg?
yes, but you can use the rim pager instead of the phone - it's faster. via phone you're usually on hold for several minutes.

Is it true you spend half the time in the backs of airliners?
no. generally first and last day only. sometimes you'll do a crew swap mid-tour, or if plane breaks. there are exceptions, of course.

Do you have to file your own flight plans?
flight plans/wx are done by licensed dispatchers. occasionally the system goes down, so you may have to do it yourself the old fashioned way.

How much time do you spend in the FBO pilot's lounge vs. flying?
see first answer.

Do you get rental cars if you are laying over for a day or two or do you never lay over that long?
rental cars are extremely rare. if they're cheaper than a cab, you can get one approved. layovers can be 1-6 days long.

Lastly, what's it like being gone for 7 days at a pop for you married types?
i've been married for 16 years, working (slaving?) at eja for 13 years. she's used to it. however, we both agree, 7 on is usually too long. but, 7 off is great!

ALL the good news I hear about EJA makes it hard to stand by and wait till they resend the APPS out again but I hope to talk to the folks from EJA at the LAX job fair. Thanks for all the good news.

eja hopeful:D

RTA/Flight Optoins, LLC

Let me try to answer you from the RTA/Flight Options, LLC. perspective:

1. See bizjet 737's first answer.
2. Show times vary. Legs vary as well. We have certain airports we hit more often than others (KTEB,KPBI,KASE, etc.). Other than that, the legs and destinations vary geatly.
3. Usually know what we are doing the night before.
4. We do not have to call dispatch after every leg.
5. We airline a lot. But no jumpseating. Fun to watch airline guys commuting to work sweat when there is a delay. No pressure here.
6. We file our own domestic flight plans. Company does international.
7. see first answer
8. Rent cars? Not sure what Options policy is. RTA you could.
9. You get used to it. My wife got used to it, too. I can't to get off the RTA6/4 schedule and start the Optoins 8/7.

This is the most interesting flying that I have done. Fun job, and we are still growing. More questions?

Latest resources

Back