The FBI dropped by for a visit...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigr

The other day about mid-day i heard a knock on my door. I opened the door and their stood a special agent of the FBI.

He said that he wanted some info about someone that lived on the other side of my apartment complex. i said that i didn't know that person. I just assumed he was conducting a routine background investigation. anyone in the military is familiar with this.

He did take down some personal info about me and went on his way. He was quite pleasant. i didn't think anything of it at the time.

the more i thought about it, the more i think he was here to check me out. i think this because i did attend a large flight school in Florida that came under some scrutiny in the early hours and days after 9.11 (i now live in california). my name probably came up in the school records. my theory is that the agent was here to check my citizenship (race?), or that my apartment wasn't an active cell.

I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else?

cheers

I did a lot of my initial training at Huffman Aviation in Venice Florida (where apparently a couple of the terrorists trained), but never heard anything from anyone. That was way back in '93 and '94, though. Maybe my name isn't in their records anymore.

That sounds a lot to me like he was doing a bit of a background check on your neighbor. Do you live near any government labs or have many defense contractors in the area?

Where I live, we've got a big nuclear/laser lab that employs maybe 10 percent of the city. It's not uncommon for the FBI to come asking questions about our neighbors when they are applying for a security clearance. The REAL fun interview comes if you are put down as a reference by someone who is trying to get a clearance. I had the FBI track me down during a rather long, unscheduled road trip all over the Western U.S. a few weeks ago to interview me about one of my best friends.

Basically, they're looking to know that the person in question hasn't lied at all on their application, and they just want to know if there is anything suspicious in that persons life (and they are assuming that if there was you'd tell them in this day and age).

Dan

if the FBI wanted to talk to you about your flight training, they would

your probably right. the Livermore National Laboratory is about 10 miles from me.

Latest resources

Back