The end of the air freight business

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SplitBar said:
Pay them no attention..... they did too much LDS in the 70's.

Gotta love those colorful metaphors:

"One damn minute admiral."

Tonala2k said:
Hay, hay. That's LSD. Careful.

The quote from the Star Trek movie was "LDS". It's from "The Voyage Home" when they return to modern day Earth (San Fran 1986), to save a whale. Everyone was looking at them funny because of their dress. It was Capt Kirks response to someone who questioned Spocks unusual dress / behavior.

"And IIIIIIIIII hate you, and IIIIIIIII beRATE you! And IIIIIIIII hate everything you do....." and the some continues, "and IIIIII say (blank) you!!!" --- watch out for the Vulcan neck pinch!

--- well a double-dumbass on you then!!

How do they know it works if it hasn't been finished yet???

I really want to fly for fedex some day and I hope this doesn't affect my career. :(

Trans Pacific Cargo will happen first. Someone like Evergreen will likely do the
mod. Then trans Atlantic and other long range Cargo. When a safety record
is established, shorter hauls and more congested airports will be factored in.

The day some magazine publishes "Automated aircraft 5 times safter than
piloted aircraft" or something like that....we're screwd.

About 10 years will be required to phase it into pax.

Wildcard 1: Some Asshat runs a pax A380-1000 or B747-8 into a mountain.
Wildcard 2: Large cargo company has pilot strike.

Either would move up the timetable.

On the bright side, the feeders will have the same airplanes 100 years from
now.

Not worried (A+P rated too)

CE

Automated Freighters = Lawyers Wet Dream!

Just wait til one of these birds goes down in a residential neighborhood due to mechanical failure that the computers weren't programmed to handle (or any other unforseen complication!) and kill a few hundred to a few thousand people in their sleep. The trial lawyers will be on the freight company and the military like flies on $hit. Then you will see the newspapers gang up and say "Why was anyone stupid enough to think we could do without pilots?"

I for one would much rather place my trust in some hung-over (add your favorite airline name here) flight crew that snuck past the TSA breath sniffers to a computer program written by a long-haired, wet behind the ears kid fresh out of some tech school who's knowledge of aviation in all its intricacy came out of a few courses taught in his sophmore year. :puke:

If you have visited disneyworld and taken a ride on space mountain, FedEx has a working model of their package transporter on dispaly. Just check it out as you leave the ride. It has been there for quite a few years.

Latest resources

Back