The Early News on Obama and Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fellow Business Executives:

As the CFO of this business that employees 140 people, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barrack Obama will be our next President, and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way.

To compensate for these increases, I figure that the Clients will have to see an increase in our fees to them of about 8%. But since we cannot increase our fees right now due to the dismal state of our economy, we will have to lay off six of our employees instead. This has really been eating at me for a while, as we believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who will have to go.

So, this is what I did. I strolled through our parking lot and found 8 Obama bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the first to be laid off. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. These folks wanted change; I gave it to them.

If you have a better idea, let me know.

Your situation is impossible. Under the current republicans, those eight people already had their jobs outsourced to china!

I told you-- there it is- almost word for word-- your paycut is actually good for you... they heard your argument from me first- don't try to pretend your original w/ that.... :)
don't you get tired of that-- tell you what- if you think getting paid is so detrimental to your career and the whole economy- why don't you volunteer to do your job for free. Then, you'll have all the business you could ever want- passengers will be lining up! We'll run ads- "Free pilot special"
It's ridiculous- there's a balance to it all.

So maybe we need to keep finding the right balance between gov't, big business, and small business. Personal responsibility, AND gov't/big business responsibility.

You are twisting my words. I did not say that you getting a raise is bad for your career. I said that you getting paid more than the value you bring to your company is bad for your company and the country.

You are twisting my words. I did not say that you getting a raise is bad for your career. I said that you getting paid more than the value you bring to your company is bad for your company and the country.

Awesome! Google Stockholm Syndrome. If i had 100 guys just like you, I would start a business, pay you sweatshop wages, and watch my bank account pile up as I sat on a beach in Cabo drinking beer and blowing the money that you broke your back to make for me. Then I would ask you to take a pay cut, just because I would kind of get a kick out of it.

Awesome! Google Stockholm Syndrome. If i had 100 guys just like you, I would start a business, pay you sweatshop wages, and watch my bank account pile up as I sat on a beach in Cabo drinking beer and blowing the money that you broke your back to make for me. Then I would ask you to take a pay cut, just because I would kind of get a kick out of it.

Negative. If my efforts are bringing the company a certain amount of money each year, then I would expect to get a pretty good share of that. Let's say that you can attribute $80,000 of revenue for the job you do. Then, getting a salary about $60,000-70,000 would seem pretty fair to you. Would it make sense to pay you $90,000? No. You would be costing the company more than you bring the company. That is my point. Right now, the market says that pilots are not worth as much as you guys seem to want it to. Whether it is because people won't pay more for a ticket or because there is so much cheap labor in the pool. Either way, the market is not very favorable for airline pilots. Striking for more money than you are worth will cause the same thing that happened with detroit. The cost to make a car by an american auto company is significantly higher than that of a foreign company that makes cars in the United States. Therefore, the UAW has priced itself out of a job because the American people will pay only a certain amount for a vehicle. Last year was the first year that a foreign company outsold a domestic company. Almost all of the vehicles that Toyota sold to take the lead were manufactured in the US.

Striking for more money than you are worth will cause the same thing that happened with detroit. The cost to make a car by an american auto company is significantly higher than that of a foreign company that makes cars in the United States. Therefore, the UAW has priced itself out of a job because the American people will pay only a certain amount for a vehicle. Last year was the first year that a foreign company outsold a domestic company. Almost all of the vehicles that Toyota sold to take the lead were manufactured in the US.

I don't deny that figure. Quite frankly I haven't done the research to refute it. I have done a lot of car shopping and the one thing I have found is that domestic cars are generally cheaper than foreign cars in the same class. The reason I (and many others) don't buy domestic cars anymore is quality. The Japanese just build better cars. If I am going to pay thousands of dollars for a vehicle I want it to work!

I know I'm wasting my breath because Obama will save you. He has magical or god-like powers. The stuff he is claiming he will do has been done with great success from other mystical creatures like Jimmy Carter.

Completely correct. But take it easy on Johnny, I have to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with him. Aside from politics, he's ok. :)

Negative. If my efforts are bringing the company a certain amount of money each year, then I would expect to get a pretty good share of that. Let's say that you can attribute $80,000 of revenue for the job you do. Then, getting a salary about $60,000-70,000 would seem pretty fair to you. Would it make sense to pay you $90,000? No. You would be costing the company more than you bring the company. That is my point.
I wish some CEOs would read your post, and adjust their salaries accordingly.

Latest resources

Back