The Dumbest Airline In American History

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Publishers said:
In effect, what they did was exactly what the pilots on this board often advocate. They did not like the new deal, thought it was cheapening the regional airline business, and, decided they could go it alone without the support of a major. Sound familiar??
They decided to keep the bar up, to maintain the standard,,,,, Oh Well.

Publishers, I agree 100%. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Everybody wants to talk about the crappy business plan, ignoring that the feeder contract with UA would have been certain death, without even a jury trial. At least they got a jury trial this way :) Whenever I (or Boyd) bring that up, this board (as is every place) is silent on how remaining a feeder would have clearly been a better option. If this plan was such a losing proposition, the BOD and shareholders would never have approved of it, and they would have forced the company to be sold out to Mesa.

It goes to show how difficult it is to start an airline and survive. JetBlue did it in good times and with tremendous financial support, mostly created by the reputatiuon and success of Morris Air.
These guys had some things going for them. They had an infrastructure that was experienced and in place and mostly paid for by United. What they did not have was brand recognition but the one they had was Atlantic Coast not Independence.
Did they make mistakes,,,, sure. But they were trying when they thought they had the best shot and a future with United was going to be tough. This is far from some things I have seen to qualify for the "dumbest airline" award.
Air South, Kiwi, and others far more deserving of that award.

Publishers said:
They did not like the new deal, thought it was cheapening the regional airline business, and, decided they could go it alone without the support of a major. Sound familiar??
They decided to keep the bar up, to maintain the standard,,,,, Oh Well.

The management at FlyI went solo because they thought it was cheapening the regional airline business? To keep the bar up?

My, that IS rich. They did it because they thought they would make more money, not to maintain the standard in regional flying.

Freley, you obviously did not get the tongue in cheek aspect of that. It was the play on if you do not like the deal given, or force yourself to take an unsatisfactory one, you are somehow lowering the bar or raising the bar.

Obviously they thought they could pull it off and make more on their own. Instead of swallowing the United deal, here was a chance and they took it.

coolnamepending said:
Found this on the aca-lounge...it ain't over yet!

well, it was working....nvm.

I didn't read the deleted part, but are you talking about a rumor that Sir Richard Branson is "looking" (in whatever sense of the word) into breathing a little more life into FlyI?

Latest resources

Back