Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

throttlejockey

A serious CRM problem!
I am currently undertaking the painful task of converting all my logbooks from paper to computer.

Back when I started flying, the definition of a X-C was any point to point flight when the straightline distance exceeded 50 nm.

During the past 15 years, that definition changed to 25 nm, then to any flight between two different airports. (Maybe it changed due to differing requirements for each rating?)

Now as I start to convert all this time, I am a bit confused over what flights are now X-C and what flights are not. I have all my ratings and I have more than enough X-C time to satisfy any current requirements, from an FAR standpoint.

However, as I move closer to the day that I become marketable to a National or Major, I am now mostly concerned with the proper logging of the flight time in their eyes, not just from the regulators point of view.

How would you go about relogging your flight time if you were undertaking this task?

Thanks,

throttlejockey

Allright, it's to my understanding that a x-c is any trip between 2 airports regardless of how far apart they are. As far as your ATP goes I believe you need 500hrs x-c. Those 500hrs have to be more than 50nm away from the departing airport.

If I'm wrong, somebody please let me know, but I think I'm right on this one.

Hope I helped!

X-C time

61.1a3

Basicly the 25nm figure refers to rotorcraft x-c while gaining experience to meet requirements for a certificate; it also refers to the maximum distance student pilots can fly away from their base prior to being given x-c training.
The 50nm figure is the minimum distance that can count as an x-c while gaining time to meet requirements for a certificate-aircraft catagory.
Otherwise it is simply qualified by "A: Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate; B: Conducted in an aircraft; C: Includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and D: involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point."
Once you have your certificates, it's simply point to point, no minimum distance.

Best Regards,
Rvr

Thanks guys. It looks like I will have to re-state some of my time since I never logged any of my "shorter" cross-countries.

throttlejockey

Here's the deal:
For PT 135 PIC minumums, you can use ANY XC time, regardless of distance. For PT 61 ATP minimums the listed XC time must be greater than 50NM.
By FAR definition, XC time is flying between two airports with a landing at both. Or it is overflying an airport 25 miles from your origination airport (without landing)

I keep two columns in my logbook. One for XC (as seen above) and one for XC greater than 50NM only.

X-C Time

The over-50-nm cross-countries are the ones you must have to count for your Commercial certification. After you earn your Commercial certification, any flight from Airport "A" to Airport "B" will count as cross-country. Therefore, you can count these cross-countries toward the ATP x-c time requirement.

Some people feel that something like a ferry flight across town that amounts to .2 or .3 counted as cross-country looks cheesy and could connote padding. It's all valid and legal per the FARs. The cheesy and padding aspects are things you have to decide for yourself.

X-Country time is when you takeoff and airport A and arrive at airport B. The 50 mile deal is only when specified for certification, which was only for the PVT I believe.

Bobbysamd,
Sorry, I have to disagree with you.

14CFR 61.1 (b)(3)(iv)
For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for an airline transport pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating), time acquired during a flight-
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft
(B) That is more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of
departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic
navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems.

Cross country towards your ATP does not have to include a landing at a point other than departure. It only has to meet the requirements above. Meaning, you have to navigate to a point
> 50 NM from your original point of departure, not necessarily land there.

To log cross-country for part 135 considerations, or any other time when not pursuing a private, commercial, instrument, or recreational certificate, log cross-country any time you take off one place, and land at another. To clarify, you can log cross-country this way all the time, you just have to differentiate between the >50 NM cross-countries when you are working towards a certificate.

Throttlejocky,

Since I see you already have your ATP I would leave a sleeping dog alone. Just put the time in your computor log the same as it is in the written log. Times match, no harm no foul and no questions asked why your written log times don't match your computor log during an interview. An interview is the wrong place to explain away such discrepancy as they may question what time if any is correct in your log. Just my .02 and you got more than you paid for, Good Luck.

KlingonLRDRVR

Latest resources

Back