• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Boeing 737 vs. the Airbus A320

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Auto throttles is a different issue. Deactivating them keeps you sharp on power settings and makes you a better pilot. More fatiguing but better.
Makes you actually look at the instruments, even when you'd rather read the paper.

I've personally never flown an aircraft with auto throttles, so I guess I dont really "get it" when it comes to automation, glass cockpit, and the removal of the traditional control column on some of the Airbuses. Airbus' plan to totally phase out the human pilot is almost complete. :laugh: (note sarcasm)

Shouldn't the pilot actually be looking at the instruments regardless of who moves the throttles (human or computer)?
Some pilots say that flying "steam guage" aircraft keep you more in the loop as opposed to the fully glass/automated where the pilot is basically a systems monitor.

If a computer is moving my throttles around, you can bet I'll be watching the guages just as close and probably closer than I would if I was the one moving the throttles in my non autothrottle aircraft.

I do, however, like how nice the cabins are in the Airbus.

Flipping switches is fun and all, but I'd eally rather just read the paper and eat.

You can get through the McPap...I mean USAToday in about five minutes. And eat?! Who actually gets food on airplanes these days?

Some pilots say that flying "steam guage" aircraft keep you more in the loop as opposed to the fully glass/automated where the pilot is basically a systems monitor.

Nah, you get much more information on what is going on in a glass cockpit airplane. A moving map showing your waypoints with speed and altitude restrictions, along with terain, traffic, and rader, is better then just a plain HSI. Plus don't forget trend indicators and synaptic pages.

I'd rather ride the AirBus then the 737. It's the better product for the people in the back.

I was told the 737NG was originally designed to resemble the 777 flight deck, but this would require a different type rating than the original -100/200/EFIS type. Southwest was not very happy about this and managed to "talk" Boeing into changing the cockpit layout.

The NG panel resembles the 777 until you look at the over head panel. You go 30 years back in time when you look up!

I've heard this too, and I think it's true. I was told that behind the overhead panel that looks 40 years old is state of the art circuitry... a data bus and a few digital circuit boards. That crusty ancient panel that SWA luvs so much was retrofitted to what was intended to be a modern, 777-like overhead. Same deal with the pedestal area.

It could have been heaven, but instead we get what we get.

CAL and LUV, is it true that your 800's 6-screen DU's are used to display clusters of synthetic steam guages on your birds, like round engine guages, a VOR and RMI? Do you have the option to swap over to a more modern display?

Gorilla, you are correct. I think they have to stay that way until the -300's and -500's are gone. If we flew them in a classic only pilot base and had a NG base, then we could display what others like Delta, Airtran, etc. display on their 737NG's,however we fly everything and this is supposed to satisfy those who regulate.

Now that I think about it, I think it is more of a -300 complete round dial issue we have. Our -500's also have efis displays with speed tape like our 757s. Our B756 pilots fly the 757-200 and -300 as well as the 767-200 and -400. All the above except the -400 have round dial airspeed guages as well as speed tape on the small (737-500 style) EFIS screens. The 767-400 has the large CRT displays and only speed tape and there we are allowed to jump in and out of it after training.

Shouldn't the pilot actually be looking at the instruments regardless of who moves the throttles (human or computer)?
A pilot's job is to divide his/her attention amongst many duties. Glass cockpits relieve pilots of much of the drudgery and thus allow us to focus on the bigger things. A pilot can still screw anything up but the glass stuff at least helps eliminate stupid stuff like missing switches.
If a computer is moving my throttles around, you can bet I'll be watching the guages just as close and probably closer than I would if I was the one moving the throttles in my non autothrottle aircraft.
Auto-throttles is a work-saving device. It makes our lives easier without compromising safety one bit. Where Airbus screws up is by having auto-thrust, the difference being that the throttles don't move on their own. I much prefer to peripherally see what the throttles are doing so I can immediately grab them if I don't like it. On the Bus they've often spooled up or down before you get to push the button or spin the knob that made them do what they're doing.

Automation is nothing more than a tool. Whether it enhances or detracts from safety is entirely up to the pilot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back