The biggest aviation screw jobs. The 4 A's and a stain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yip,

They're good questions to ask in order to understand the demise of, if there ever actually was, unity in aviation trade unionism. I'll ask three more:

Who were the first RJ pilots?

Why did American pilots de-certify ALPA and form the APA?

Was the "umbrella" policy of the IAM beneficial for Mechanics?

So you're basically saying that the industry is in ruins because of pilots, then... Airline management, or a lack thereof, had nothing to do with the industry's demise...

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

It seems pilots forgot about this in the late 70's, and really lost the picture shortly after that. Management and the ATA couldn't have done what they've done otherwise.

Not about hanging together

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

It seems pilots forgot about this in the late 70's, and really lost the picture shortly after that. Management and the ATA couldn't have done what they've done otherwise.
Back to the beginning. It is about getting the maximum for one's self, and to do this most will sacrifice almost anything or anybody,

You forgot #5:

The original usair pilots.
In particular, the sense of entitlement they have that embodies all that is wrong with this industry and our society.

Actually that IS #4, your #4 was also done by the easties way back when they were part of ALPA and encouraged the change in policy. Of course you knew that.....

In random order:

Allowing the B-Scale by many greedy pilots.

Allowing RJ's and the scope give away by many greedy pilots.

Age 65 being pushed by many greedy pilots.

Abandoning DOH as a core Union principle by many greedy pilots.

And my two favorite screw jobs. Genital Lee and his sidekick Dope in an RJ.

M

I agree with a lot of that-
but let me ask an honest question- a USAIr pilot gets hired in their mid 20's flying a Fokker and gets a hire date. Does a 30 year old who gets hired flying an RJ get to keep their hire date from that regional? Or do USAIr pilots receive a windfall in a merger bc they sold out their small jet flying?

I'll clarify- does a 30 something major/national pilot get to keep their "regional" hire date from their mid-20's? What about Trump? What about all the times USAIr didn't use DOH?
This is old- but I always like to stress how outsourcing to regionals has severely undermined our seniority system. I HOPE you know that

I agree with all the points in the first post. None of it is relevent in the USAirways case. Once you change a principle, and agree to abide by it, however reluctantly, you are legally bound to abide by it. You can change the rule for future pilots, but you can't have a "do over" unless both sides agree to it. You will not get the west to agree, and you will continue to have your ass handed to you in court.

Latest resources

Back