The BBJ dream (Netjets)...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Starshipper

Yes, I have read that even if you were hired by Netjets last year (I wasn't), your likelihood of EVER flying a BBJ for Netjets is remote - probably take 15 years (or more) to reach that airplane due to lack of sales and slow-moving seniority, etc. We can still dream, can't we? Are there any Netjets pilots out there who can talk about typical BBJ schedules, plusses and minuses of flying that type? Questions:

1. Does a BBJ pilot fly the 7 on - 7 off schedule? If not, what is the typical schedule in terms of days per month?

2. What is the mix of international to domestic flying? I presume that most is international but I am not sure?

3. What are the most frequent destinations for the BBJ? What is the most exotic place you or a friend has flown the BBJ?

4. How do you like the BBJ vs. what you flew previously? How does it compare to the Falcon 2000 and Citation X (more spacious cockpit) in terms of your enjoyment?

Sorry about asking all of these questions. For many of us, flying a BBJ represents a dream (maybe not for everyone). Netjets pilots are lucky in that they can fly terrific aircraft throughout their careers - from the Citation X to the BBJ (after a very long wait).

Thanks for your opinions and information.

Cheers

and southwest pilots run off the runway.... what's your point?

Muddauber is right, the BBJ's are not flying much, and the crews are having a hard time staying current.

I am not a BBJ guy, but this is what I've been seeing and hearing on the road.

Perhaps a BBJ driver can chime in ?

As far as the BBJ being the "dream" job, no thanks.

Besides there are other outfits flying the BBJ, perhaps you could find one and get hired.

I see one parked at HPN every time I taxi in. I don't think the thing has moved in a while. I'm not surprised with the economy still mustering for a recovery.

1. yes, all bbj pilots are on the 7/7 - only schedule available on bbj.

2. totally varies - personally about 90% domestic. however, i'd guess fleetwide it's more like 70% domestic right now.

3. once again totally varied just like the rest of the fleet. we only need 5000' so we can get into lots of places. my most exotic trip so far has been ewr-iad-london-kuwait-bahrain-dubai-doha-dubai-abu dabi-stuttgart over 12 days. we do lots of fill ins for the other fleets, gulfstreams especially so we get around.

4. i've flown all the other planes except the hawkers and the new excel. it's a different kind of work on the bbj. takes a lot more thinking ahead - mainly due to size and int'l ops. really have to watch the wings - they're really long - especially on fbo ramps.

biggest drawback is the lack of flying. i've only done 150hrs in the last 18 months. that's not sitting at home, either. often times a/l to the plane, sit in a hotel 7 days and a/l home.

we received our 135 cert in the last couple of weeks. did our first 135 trip - around the world - starting last week. mgt tells us the phone is "ringing off the hook" with charter requests. hopefully it's true.

we have five planes flying, two in storage. if the flying picks up like it's supposed to this winter, we'll have those next two soon. lead time on the next plane after those two is 18 months - so it could be awhile until we get a much bigger fleet. original order was for 29.

I can't resist. starshipper you are giddy. What do you dream of? Flying the Citation X at .92 into Aspen as you say with Tiger Woods in the back or do you dream of flying the BBJ? Or...perhaps your dreams are more focused on the size of your watch and your ego...for you are not an aviator...your posts make you sound like a giddy schoolboy trying to score the hottest chic in the new class. Get a life and leave aviating to the purists...

tothelineplz said:
I can't resist. starshipper you are giddy. What do you dream of? Flying the Citation X at .92 into Aspen as you say with Tiger Woods in the back or do you dream of flying the BBJ? Or...perhaps your dreams are more focused on the size of your watch and your ego...for you are not an aviator...your posts make you sound like a giddy schoolboy trying to score the hottest chic in the new class. Get a life and leave aviating to the purists...

Wow---this has got to be flame bait. I hope someone was not ignorant enough to actually post this to try and make a valid point.
As allot of people have had to point out lately to the ignoramouses(is that a word?)this forum is for asking questions-whatever they are about. Obviously the person asking had a reason to ask--thats good enough-who are you to judge?
Also if being a purist means not wanting to fly the best and fastest equipment--ie Citation X/BBJ and do interesting flights like going into Aspen, Jackson Hole, Telluride etc then guess I don't want to be a dork er I mean purist either.

Fly Safe
Chuck

Tothelineplz,

It is obvious you are tired and jaded. Retired military - old man sitting around with nothing to do but criticize others...

Hey General, is this not an informational forum? It is. Do you need to respond to make yourself feel better? Are you feeling inadequate? Probably.

Am I enthusiastic? Yes. Do I love aviation? Yes. Do I sometimes come off as overly-enthusiastic? Sometimes. Do I absolutely love what I do? Yes. Does that threaten you because you have problems? Yes.

Am I sincerely interested in Netjets and the types of airplanes they fly? Of course - why would I be asking these questions on this informational forum otherwise? I, like a lot of other pilots, aspire to flying a Citation X and/or a BBJ one day.

Your snide remarks don't bother me. Let's see if you can make yourself look like more of an a-hole!!!!!!!! Not possible. I feel safer knowing you are retired...

Thanks to all who contributed to this posting. I appreciate your information and opinions. Yes, I admit to being enthusiastic and I am sorry if it offends the jaded...

Cheers

Last edited:
Tothelineplz,

You have got to be kidding. Why would you be so negative? Yeah, he's enthusiastic, so what? Other people might be interested in Netjets too. This posting could benefit many people besides Starshipper...

Why don't you leave him alone and just do your own thing? There has been a lot of negativity lately... Let's all try to get along.

Happy and safe flying!

Latest resources

Back